1Password not prompting to save new Login/Registration???

Options
2»

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @Andrew775 @CKay, I can understand why you prefer the option to save a login after submitting it on a website. I'll share your feedback with the team.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RSBC, I really appreciate the thoughtful explanation!

In 1Password, by updating and saving the new password first, even if something happens (or doesn't happen), you'll always have the original password and the new password (even if it doesn't meet requirements) that you changed it too.

You're correct. This is the most efficient way for us to collect your login details and prevent data loss, just as you illustrated.

That said, we are always looking to improve 1Password, and we are tracking all feedback. We encourage everyone to chime in about their experiences. We'll do our best to create a product that is intuitive and that will handle your data with care.

• whoa11
    whoa11
    Community Member
    Options

For the love of God, can you please get this feature and let users decide if they want it enabled or disabled. I have requested this feature so many times

• cjbatyr
    cjbatyr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone! I just wanted to chime in on this discussion. As an Operations Manager, I wanted to share my experience with rolling out 1Password to our organisation. Unlike other password managers that prompt you to save your password after a successful login, with 1Password, I had to manually save it after entering my login details. This method has another drawback - if I entered my credentials incorrectly, I had to go and update the entry on 1Password. It took me a while to develop the habit of manually saving passwords and updating them when needed. As someone who is tech-savvy, I believe this is a critical feature that could impact the success of our rollout.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @whoa11 @cjbatyr thank you both for the feedback. I've passed it along to our team for consideration.

PB: 31270418

• catopol
    catopol
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone. So... this is my first day of 1password trial and, sadly, the last.
    The first thing i tried was to see how the popup after form submission worked... only to find there is no such popup and a fast google search pointed me to this thread.
    The lack of this basic feature is a dial breaker for my family (and for me).

Also the lack of a quick random password generator is baffling (it works only in the browser and after multiple clicks to reach the feature).

Both the features were implemented in the old version and then removed in v8.
    I will never understand or support this strange trend to remove useful features there were already implemented and used for years.

• Hi @catopol, I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and have passed it along to our Product team.

PB:32120385

• ritchiezzz
    ritchiezzz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @RSBC, I really appreciate the thoughtful explanation!

In 1Password, by updating and saving the new password first, even if something happens (or doesn't happen), you'll always have the original password and the new password (even if it doesn't meet requirements) that you changed it too.

You're correct. This is the most efficient way for us to collect your login details and prevent data loss, just as you illustrated.

That said, we are always looking to improve 1Password, and we are tracking all feedback. We encourage everyone to chime in about their experiences. We'll do our best to create a product that is intuitive and that will handle your data with care.

I disagree with the notion that the current approach effectively prevents data loss. The existing pre-login mechanism places the onus on the user to initiate password-saving actions, whereas a post-login pop-up window mechanism would actively prompt users to save their passwords. As it stands, the current system unfairly shifts the responsibility onto the user, while the software avoids automating the process.

While it's understandable that the software may not flawlessly execute the post-login prompt, there should be compensatory measures in place. For example, the software could automatically record the password as the user types it, creating a temporary entry. If the post-login prompt fails, the user can effortlessly locate their most recently entered password. The temporary entry could then be automatically removed after a specified period (there's room for more innovative solutions here).

I am a software engineer and researcher at an IT company, and my experience is that passing the buck to customers in order to sidestep technical challenges seldom proves successful. And the pre-login mechanism adopted by 1Password seems to be such a case.

• RSBC
    RSBC
    Community Member
    Options

@ritchiezzz, your logic doesn't make sense. Whether the user is prompted at the beginning, or at the end of the process, the "onus" is still on the user as it should be. You do not want any software storing sensitive data even temporarily. The only difference in before and after is; in order to prompt the user after, the browser has to go through it's posting process. This means storing the password in session, a cookie or some other method, and that is the last thing you want to do. Unless you can ensure that every site has written their web app with a full client-side only stack using tools like Blazor, you do not want your browser posting anything temporary to a foreign server.

To anyone that knows anything about cyber security, this is about the most frightening thing to hear anyone say : "For example, the software could automatically record the password as the user types it, creating a temporary entry." Do you realize how much malware is out there? You do not want any software recording your password as you type it!

It sounds like you simply do not like it the way it is, because none of your arguments are convincing. All users should take responsibility and security seriously, when it comes to their safety and certainly own it. And, I would disagree when you say that this would seldom prove successful, just ask 1Password how they're doing.

• ritchiezzz
    ritchiezzz
    Community Member
    Options

@RSBC I agree with you that "you do not want your browser posting anything temporary to a foreign server."

Just want to clarify two things:
    1. "onus" is still on the user as it should be. When you say this, you mean the user has the responsibility to take care of their password, which I agree. The "onus" I meant was for initiating the prompt. The post-login is for the user to review, and the pre-login is for the user to initiate. It is totally different.
    2. I meant to "temporary store" locally not to 1Password's server (the same as the post-login mechanism; I am not saying implementation-wise it is the same). Indeed, it may still pose a risk as you said "You do not want any software recording your password as you type it!" Then, there could be better solutions.

In summary, 1 is about the customer experience. and pre-login is bad for at least many (including me, and many people replied in this thread). 2 is about technical solutions, what I threw there was just a random initial idea. How to develop a solution even better than the existing post-login mechanism is a problem for 1Password team to solve.

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Not sure why this is seen as "Ways to improve the extension". On https://support.1password.com/sign-in-with-provider/ it says pretty clearly that it's supposed to work:

Click “Save item” when 1Password asks if you want to save an item for that site.

My settings reflect what is shown under "Get Help", and yet the steps to sign in with a provider never lead to a prompt by 1Password. I've tested this on several different websites. I only get the "Sign in with..." prompt, but not the "Save in 1Password?" prompt.

So this should be a bug, not an "improvement", right?

This discussion has been closed.