1password chrome extension hangs totally

mickael
mickael
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I encouter a weird behaviour using 1password extension (2.3.0) in Chrome (99.0.4844.51 (Build officiel) (arm64)) in MacOS 12.21 on a MacBook Pro M1.

The inline form popup make chrome hangs totally until he crashs and restart.

I tried several things:

• remove extension / reinstall
  • enable in private browsing and try private browsing
  • try another google account

But the result is the same. As soon as I click in a login form, the proposals are shown but the application become unresponsive, hangs until crash.

How can I troobleshoot that ?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: 12.2.1

Comments

• mickael
    mickael
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Note, that the extension seems to work fine when clicking on the extension icon in the extension pane.

This is the embedded icon in forms that causes chrome to hang / crash.

I encounter this issue since a few weeks (months?). My main browser is safari and everything works fine there. So I disabled totally the extension until I gave it a new try today with the same issue.

• bnw
    bnw
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, and it's been happening for a month at least. I wrote about it here: https://1password.community/discussion/127831/1password-for-chrome-crashing-chrome-brave-when-clicking-a-suggested-login#latest

EDIT: I've just deleting Chrome, deleted Chrome's application support file. Rebooted the machine. Reinstalled Chrome, and then tried to log in to Google with 1Password being the only extension installed on a fresh install of the browser and the beach ball happened as soon as I clicked on the form-embedded UI.

Wondering if it's something to do with 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@bnw Thanks for sharing! I do see that we've followed up with you. Hopefully things are now working well.

@mickael Let's have you send over a console log as well as a diagnostics report so we can take a closer look at what may be going on. Please replicate the behavior and follow the guides below to grab the logs + diagnostics for us:

Attach the logs and diagnostics report to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• bnw
    bnw
    Community Member

Well what I've found is that the issue went away after I created a new profile. After deleting the profile the issue no longer occurred in the original profile. However, it's also possible that the it was a chromium bug because my logs show that Chrome was updated 36hrs earlier. So who knows?

• Glucagon
    Glucagon
    Community Member

This has also been happening to me for months-- Chrome would lock up with spinning beach ball, and I'd have to force quit. Happened multiple times a day, very annoying. I had no idea the problem was 1Password until one day I tried removing the 1Password extension and the problem stopped. I reinstalled it a few weeks later and the problem started again immediately.

I also know someone else who has similar mysterious Chrome crashes and was using 1Password, I suspect it's the problem for him as well.

I'm guessing way more of your users have this problem than you're aware of, because the crashes are not obviously caused by 1Password. Please investigate!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@bnw Glad to hear that things are working now. It's possible that there was an issue on the Chrome side. If you run into this again in the future, please let us know about it, and we will gladly investigate further.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Glucagon! We do have a number of users who reach out about the extension taking a long time to load in Chrome, but since everyone's set up and computing environment is different, we have to look at all cases individually.

If you continue to see the behavior that you've described, please follow the guides below to grab the extension logs and a diagnostics report for us:

The extension console log: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/
    A diagnostics report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Attach the logs and diagnostics report to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/127810/1password-chrome-extension-hangs-totally
    Your forum username: Glucagon

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so that we can locate your ticket. We'll be able to help further from there!

• mickael
    mickael
    Community Member

I did a new try after upgrading MacOs to 12.3.1 and it works now.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mickael thanks for following up here! I'm glad things are working after updating. Let us know if you run into any further troubles. 🙂

• titusbyronicus
    titusbyronicus
    Community Member

Hello, I'm also encountering this issue on Mac OS 12.5.1 and Chrome 105.0.5195.102. When I unlock the inline extension, or when the 'save login info' panel appears, the browser hangs for a while with the beachball, and sometimes needs to be force quit to resume. I will email diagnostics and console to the support email.

This discussion has been closed.