1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost Google Chrome Beta 100 Saturating CPU

Options
bhive01
bhive01
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Chrome updated over the weekend. I'm running Beta Chrome. It's version popped to 100.0.4896.30. The 1password extension is not recognizing Chrome any more despite the fact that it is upgraded. Also, 1PasswordSLSNativeMessengeHost appears to be opening one instance for every tab and taking all of my CPU.
Yes, I have too many tabs open, but that's not been happening up until this point.

If I disable the extension this does not happen.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: 12.2.1

Comments

• Hi @bhive01:

Thanks for letting us know about this! Chrome recently changed their browser code signature certificate in recent updates of the Beta channel of Chrome. As a result of this, until 1Password 7 for Mac has been updated to recognize the new certificate, you may run into issues with newer versions of Chrome communicating with 1Password 7. For the time being, using Chrome stable would be the best bet. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#13488

• wookieunderwood
    wookieunderwood
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue (multiple processes attributed to 1password on Mac), but I am using a stable version of Chrome. It takes so much memory, that I am having trouble using my computer. Any advice?

• Hi @wookieunderwood:

The change to the signing certificate has also made it to Chrome stable release. Are you on version 7.9.3 or later of 1Password for Mac? How to keep 1Password up to date

Let me know, and if you are, I can dig in further with you. Thanks!

Jack

• KatFlip
    KatFlip
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue.

All relevant software is up to date as I write this on 21 March 2022:

1password version 7.9.3
    1password Chrome Extension version 2.3.0
    Chrome (stable) Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    MacOS 12.2.1 (21D62)

I have to disable the 1password Chrome extension. If I do not it runs away with the entire CPU and a metric shed load of memory. The fans on my mac goes nuts and the room warms up. In short the entire machine runs at a crawl.

Regards.

• wookieunderwood
    wookieunderwood
    Community Member
    Options

My version of 1Password on Mac is 7.9.3.
    Chrome version: 99.0.4844.74 for arm64 (stable release).

The issue has resurfaced again today. This is the only time I hear fans on my Macbook, so when I've heard them, I immediately checked Activity Monitor and was greeted with multiple 1PasswordSLSNativeMessengeHost processes.

• joelmlevin
    joelmlevin
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. MacOS 12.2.1 (21D62); Chrome Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (x86_64); 1Password 7
    Version 7.9.3 (70903003) 1Password Store. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Chrome extension and the issue came right back.

• Hi @KatFlip / @wookieunderwood @joelmlevin:

Thanks for following up. We're actively investigating the cause of this, but in the meantime, disabling "Integrate with 1Password desktop app" in 1Password in the browser's settings should improve your state of play. To do this, right click the 1Password icon in Chrome's toolbar, choose Settings, then disable "Integrate with 1Password desktop app". With the integration disabled, you will have to unlock 1Password in Chrome separately from the 1Password desktop app, but it should resolve the processes being spawned. Keep an eye out for updates as we work to resolve this issue.

Jack

• tmarquard
    tmarquard
    Community Member
    Options

I am also seeing the same issue. MacOS 12.2.1; Chrome Version 99.0.4844.83 (Official Build) (x86_64); 1Password Version 7.9.3 (70903003). Have disabled the chrome extension. Looking forward to hearing a solution.
    Thanks

• salty
    salty
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, Chrome Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (x86_64), MacOS 12.2.1 (21D62)

My load average was over 1000! and hundreds of these processes running and more spawning all the time. I started trying to kill them but they kept spawning, eventually I went into the browser and disabled the extension, and when I was trying to kill the remaining processes my machine spontaneously rebooted.

todd 7230 3.5 0.1 33797240 13472 ?? R 2:00PM 0:01.11 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/
    todd 1988 3.5 0.1 33796204 11028 ?? R 1:27PM 1:12.20 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/
    todd 6070 3.5 0.1 33796716 10212 ?? R 1:43PM 0:22.98 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/

• wbobeirne
    wbobeirne
    Community Member
    Options

Also just experienced this, hundreds of processes and was completely locking up my system. Also got a few prompts initially about it not being able to validate Chrome or something like that.

macOS 12.2.1 (21D62)
    Apple M1 Pro 32gb
    Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (arm64)
    1Password Extension 2.3.0
    1Password Desktop 7.9.3 (App Store)

I disabled the Preferences > Browsers > Always keep 1Password Extension Helper Running setting and manually killed all the processes and the issue is gone for now. Would love to see a fix come in soon though.

• Hi @wbobeirne / @salty / @tmarquard:

Thanks for adding your input! As I mentioned above, we're actively investigating, and hope to know more, but in the meantime the steps I provided above should improve the state of play.

Jack

• cvince86
    cvince86
    Community Member
    Options

This affects PRODUCTION chrome Version 99.0.4844.83 (Official Build) (arm64) as well.

For now I'm removing 1password extension from Chrome. If this doesn't get fixed soon I'm probably gonna switch to dashlane. This kind of bug is completely unacceptable for such sensitive software.

It almost makes me feel like I'm being hacked or something.

• Hey @cvince86/ @wbobeirne / @salty / @tmarquard:

Thanks for following up on this. We've recently made some improvements in version 2.3.3 of 1Password in the browser that should hopefully improve the state of play here. After ensuring that 1Password in the browser is up to date, fully quit both Chrome and 1Password for Mac (Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar). Reopen Chrome and 1Password for Mac, and let me know how that goes.

Jack

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to add that this is still happening as of March 25th.

The biggest problem for me: this affects all of my company employees's because we use 1Password Enterprise. Support tickets just went through the roof!

• cvince86
    cvince86
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I don't see a version 2.3.3 in the Chrome store, and I'm still on version 2.3.2. Does it auto-update somehow?

• GLJ3
    GLJ3
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

I just signed up for 1Password yesterday. I've got both the app and Chrome extension downloaded and working on my MacBook Air. I've been in Chrome the past couple days going through 50+ sites updating passwords so far.

My computer had slowed to a crawl and the fan was going full blast. I went into activity monitor and there were several dozen '1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost' processes going. I did a quick Google search about native messaging, but it's not something I'm familiar with.

I quit all the processes and my computer is back to normal. How is this something I can prevent going forward? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: 2.3.2
    _OS Version:
    Not Provided

• GLJ3
    GLJ3
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Like @cvince86 mentioned, I'm not seeing a version 2.3.3 in the Chrome store. I downloaded the extension for the first time yesterday and it's 2.3.2.

• cvince86
    cvince86
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P, 2.3.2 seems to be working fine for me so far. Will share if the issues crop up again.

• debstar73
    debstar73
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am also experiencing this issue at the moment.

1Password browser extension version 2.3.2
    Chrome Versie 99.0.4844.84
    1Password app version 7.3.9
    MacOS version 12.2.1 Monterey

I just disabled the option 'Integrate with 1Password app' and now it's working fine again.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@cvince86, @glj3, @salty 👋
    Version 2.3.3 is a beta release. But the latest stable release version 2.3.2 should work in the same way here, as you can read in the changelog.
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/B5X#beta

• Hypher
    Hypher
    Community Member
    Options

I have the 2.3.2 release and I'm still seeing this problem on my machine, macOS Monterey, Chrome 100.0.4896.75

• Ben
    Options

Hi everyone,

We believe we've got this fixed up in 1Password for Mac 7.9.4. Please give that a try as soon as the update becomes available for you and let us know how it goes. It is available today for folks who update directly through the app, and will be available through the App Store as soon as it makes it through the submission & approval process.

Ben

• JanLindblad
    JanLindblad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for taking this seriously. This is not the kind of software you want to see glitches in.

I just encountered the exact thing described above, and I'm running 1Password for Mac 7.9.4 :-(

1Password 7 Version 7.9.4 (70904002) Mac App Store
    Chrome: Version 99.0.4844.83 (Official Build) (x86_64) -- it complains about Update failed (error: 11) KSUpdateEngine no ticket to update for the specified product ID.
    1Password chrome extension: Version 2.3.3
    MacOS: Monterey 12.3.1

• @JanLindblad

Sorry for the ongoing trouble here. We've heard some users are still experiencing this issue, despite the update. I can, however, confirm that this issue has been resolved in the new 1Password 8 for Mac. If you're feeling adventurous, and want to take it for a spin, you're welcome to install it from our downloads page.

• metadaddy
    metadaddy
    Community Member
    Options

Landed here today from a search for 1PasswordSLSNativeMessengeHost CPU after Activity Monitor showed me something very like the OP's screenshot.

I grabbed 1Password 8 for Mac (8.8.0, to be precise), and I'm pleased to say that the issue seems to be resolved. My fans are quiet!

Thanks for the tip, @ag_chantelle!

This discussion has been closed.