To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Questions regarding the Emergency Kit

Options
cherrypay
cherrypay
Community Member
edited March 2022 in Memberships

Hello,

I have some questions and uncertainties can you address my questions?

I have stored my emergency kit (printed) in our Fire safe. What if my safe is stolen?

1- Can they login and wipe my account with one click?

2- Can I set notifications, warning messages via email on secret key inputs?

3- Do I get warning messages on IOS app and email?

4 - When I get robbed, they can force me or use my finger to open the app. Can I make some vaults locked and only opening after typing my password?

5- Can we set a locking period after failed logins on IOS app, MAC and web app?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:emergy kit

Comments

• Hey @cherrypay:

Great questions!

1- Can they login and wipe my account with one click?

They would need your account password as well to confirm the deletion.

2- Can I set notifications, warning messages via email on secret key inputs?

1Password always sends an email when your account has been logged into from a new device. To clarify, both your Secret Key, and account password are necessary to add your 1Password account to a new device.

3- Do I get warning messages on IOS app and email?

As I mentioned above, you'll receive a email notifying you of a sign in on a new device.

4 - When I get robbed, they can force me or use my finger to open the app. Can I make some vaults locked and only opening after typing my password?

Generally speaking, there's always a risk of further retaliation / coercion when being forced to unlock anything. In short, if you're in a position where you're being forced to unlock something, and not everything is unlocked as the attacker expects, you may end up in a situation that's worse for you.

5- Can we set a locking period after failed logins on IOS app, MAC and web app?

This is a great thought, but the short version is no. If an attacker has physical access to your device, they could in theory attack the 1Password database directly, rather than relying on limits enforced by the 1Password app.

Let me know if that helps, or if you have further questions!

Jack

• cherrypay
    cherrypay
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack!

They need password and key but they are both on the emergency sheet. So extra iOS notification would be a great addition. So what if the hacker changed password? Can we create a second clone of our vaults on your server?

When our vaults are wiped or locked out because password change we can’t recover only with the key right?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The emergency kit automatically includes the secret key, but the master password is only included if one chooses to write it down. It is advisable to have the password stored somewhere as otherwise there is a risk of forgetting it. The secret key is used so rarely that it needs to be written down.

• Hey @cherrypay:

As @danco noted (thanks for the assist! 😎), the account password is only on your Emergency Kit if you choose to write it down. To be 100% clear, your account password and your Secret Key make up the encryption material to access your vaults, and the Secret Key by itself cannot be used to recover changes that were made. About your Secret Key

If you'd like to protect against a situation where someone steals your fire safe containing an Emergency Kit with your account password included on it, enabling two-factor authentication for your 1Password account may help: Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

Let me know!

Jack

• cherrypay
    cherrypay
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect! I didn't know about the two-factor authentication. Thank you very much.

• You're very welcome @cherrypay! Feel free to get in touch if you need anything in the future.

Jack

• cherrypay
    cherrypay
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack!

Maybe you can address my other questions😃

• Blake
    Options

Hey again @cherrypay

We're happy to answer any other questions you have, fire away! 🙂

• cherrypay
    cherrypay
    Community Member
    Options

@Blake thank you! How can I store new added login details not to my primary ios vault but a selected vault?

When I add login details on iphone it’s not synced with my mac.

So selecting a standard vault would be perfect

• Blake
    Options

@cherrypay

Ah! I think this might help.

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your iOS device.
    2. Tap Settings > Vaults.

• Tap All Vaults > Vault for Saving. Items created while All Vaults is active will be placed in this vault.
      • Tap Always Open To and select the vault to open to after launching 1Password.
  • cherrypay
    cherrypay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Blake,

You are the best! With your easy to understand steps, it's solved in a minute:-)

Have a great one!

• Hey @cherrypay:

On behalf of Blake, you're very welcome!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.