Moving passwords from Ipad/Iphone to 1password?

Options
EmmaAnn
EmmaAnn
Community Member

I have been trying to set up 1password on my ipad 10.5 (and/or iPhone 13 pro). I have downloaded the app but can’t figure out how to export all of my existing passwords into it. I have been trying to follow the guidance here https://support.1password.com/import-safari/ however the menus it refers to don’t exist on ipad or iPhone, having tried multiple times and also spent quite a bit of time googling. Is there specific guidance for importing passwords from ipad/iPhone? I have been working at this all morning but seem to keep running into blocks. For info I made sure all my software was updated before I started and as I’m a new member of 1Password the app etc should be up to date.

The other option of course is to do the websites on a one by one basis but as all of my current passwords are saved in apple keychain I can’t disable it so it’s very fiddly working between the two systems. I spent an hour doing this and only really managed to change half a dozen because it involved signing in and out again of the websites multiple times.

Thanks for any guidance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS15

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hello @EmmaAnn! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble migrating your passwords from iCloud Keychain to 1Password on your iPad. The article that you linked to is meant to be followed on a Mac and you won't be able to use those steps on an iPad. Do you have a Mac that you can use to import your passwords into 1Password?

If you don't have a Mac then you can still migrate your passwords. On your iPad, you can copy a password (or username) from Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Website & App Passwords. Then, you can create a new Login item in 1Password and paste it there.

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• milesemery
    milesemery
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I take it from your comments then, you have to copy and paste one password at a time from iCloud if you have an iPad into 1Password. Going to take sometime if you have over a 100 password’s !. No alternative to create a csv file from iCloud - not seen away of doing this.

• Hey @milesemery:

There currently isn't any way to import them all at once without a Mac to export from iCloud Keychain, but we do have a method that will allow you to import as you go.

While it's possible to do this from both iPhone and iPad, the steps I'm sharing apply to the iPad. On your iPad, ensure that you've enabled 1Password for Safari and it's unlocked in Safari. In your iPad's Settings, ensure that iCloud Keychain is enabled and 1Password is disabled under Passwords > AutoFill Passwords.

After setting everything up, navigate to a site you'd like to import into 1Password on your device. Tap the username field for the website. You should see a dropdown below the username, as well as the "Log in to example.com" pop-up.

When you see this pop-up, tap the keyboard icon in the bottom left hand corner, not the blue button. Tap the suggested password for the website in the QuickType bar, authenticate to fill. This will fill your username and password into the website. Before tapping the Sign In or Login button for the website, tap "Save in 1Password". If you don't see "Save in 1Password", tap the 1Password icon in the username or password field, then tap "Save in 1Password". This will pop up 1Password in Safari and allow you to save your Login item into 1Password. Repeat these steps as needed for each website.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.