1Password for Safari not showing autofill menu on field focus

Hi all,

Having an issue where the latest update of the 1Password in Safari seems to have broke its ability to autofill on field focus. Before the update, when you clicked on a field that was fillable by 1Password it used to have a little dropdown menu below the field which would allow you to click on it to fill your username/password/actual name/credit card number etc.

The Command + Backslash ("/") no longer works to get autofill happening in Safari either. The only way to get passwords to fill etc is to click on the extension and find the entry and select autofill.

Have tried quitting Safari and 1Password for macOS, tried restarting the computer, tried disabling and re-enabling the extension..nothing seems to work.

Interestingly, the extensions for Edge and Chrome have no such issues.

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (80700002, on BETA channel)
Extension Version: 2.3.1 (Safari) | 2.3.2 Beta (Edge)
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gussic, do you still see the 1Password icon in your username and password fields? Can you go to https://fill.dev/form/login-simple and check on that for me? If you start typing in a username and password, do you see 1Password's inline menu offering to save that as a login? Here's what I mean: https://cln.sh/wXxjgS

Please let me know!

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

@Joy_1P yep I have the icon showing in the username/password fields. When I start typing I don't get the autofill drop down asking to save a password/username sadly.

Seems like the most recent update to the Safari extension has broken this, it was working fine before.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

@Joy_1P - just some screenshots so we're sure we're both on the same page!

The icon in the username field is there as you can see.

The icon in the password field is also there.

You can see there is no offer from the extension to save the username.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the screenshots @gussic! Can you go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and share a screenshot of that with me as well?

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

Sure @Joy_1P

Please see below:

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@gussic Thanks. Can you do the following?

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in Safari and select Settings.
    2. Scroll down to Autofill.
    3. If "Show autofill menu on field focus" is on, please turn it off and then turn it on.
    4. If "Show autofill menu on field focus" is off, please turn it on.
    5. Test things out again.

If that doesn't help, I'd like you to send over a diagnostics report so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Attach that to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here!

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Hi @Joy_1P - I've already logged a ticket with support the number I was given is #EUI-72416-362.

I'll gather a diagnostics report and send it through though. Any idea what might be causing this? It's very frustrating.

EDIT: Just confirming this has been sent - but went to support@1password.com - did you want me to send to the forum plus address as well?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@gussic No need to send it again! I've located the ticket and will take a closer look. Let's keep the conversation there to avoid going back and forth. Thanks again.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

@Joy_1P thanks! Look forward to hearing from you.

• jkelol111
    jkelol111
    Community Member

I'm facing the same issue as well.

1Password for Safari 2.3.1
    1Password 8 Beta 8.7.0
    1Password 7 7.9.4 (1Password Extension Helper disabled because I'm using the one in 1PW 8)
    Safari 15.5

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

Aldo having this issue in safari. Click the 1password icon in a field doesn't present an entry nor does one auto pop up when clicking a field. Version 2.3.1. 1Password 8 for Mac (80700090).

Workaround is click the extension icon at the top and click autofill on the entry you wish to fill

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

Uninstalling the extension and a reinstall did the trick!

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jkelol111! I'm sorry to hear you're seeing the same issue. Here are a couple things to check and try at this point:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in the macOS toolbar and select 'Quit'.
    2. Right click the Safari icon in your Dock and select 'Quit'.
    3. Open Finder > Applications and drag 1Password for Safari to the Trash, and empty the Trash.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Reinstall 1Password for Safari from here -> 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store
    6. Open and sign into the 1Password app.
    7. Open Safari and then Safari > Preferences > Extensions
    8. Make sure '1Password for Safari' is enabled and try it again.

Let us know if you're still having issues after that and we can have you send in some diagnostics into support to assist further.

• jkelol111
    jkelol111
    Community Member

The latest 1Password for Safari 2.3.3 update fixed it! Reinstalling didn't help while I was on 2.3.1 though.

• Glad to hear version 2.3.3 of 1Password for Safari sorted it out for you @jkelol111! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with in the future!

Jack

• royimous
    royimous
    Community Member

I was having this same issue with 1Password 8. It started happening after I installed 1PW 8.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Safari extension fixed the issue.

• Hey @royimous:

Glad to hear reinstalling sorted it out for you. Feel free to get in touch if you need anything else.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.