catastophy after I signed up for the 3 year individual plan

Options
chongolcn2
chongolcn2
Community Member
edited March 2022 in Mac

**TR;DL: **

I made the mistake of signing up for the 3 year individual plan. The result in my local vault passwords on my mac moved to 1Password.com. 2 days later the unlock password for the 1password app on my mac stopped working and the 1Password.com migrated passwords are gone.

Details:

I signed up for the 3 year individual plan, an action I now regret, when the 1password app (v7.9.3) on my mac (macOS 12.3) propped me to do this. What I didn't realize was this was going to was prepare me for 1Password v8. I thought this was simply a 3 year personal account extension.

This 3 year individual plan action took the 576 items that were in a local v7 vault on my mac (and synced via iCloud) and moved them to a 1password.com vault "in the cloud". 2 days later, the unlock password for my 1password app on my mac no longer recognizes my unlock password!

The signup for the 3 year individual plan took place on 2022 Mar 19. On both 2022 Mar 19 and 2022 Mar 20 I could see the 576 items (that were on a local vault on my mac could be seen in a private vault on 1Password as well on 1password app on my mac). On both 2022 Mar 19 and 2022 Mar 20 the unlock password worked fine.

On 2022 Mar 21: my unlock password for my 1password app no longer works. The 1password.com account no longer shows the vault with the 576 items. It only shows the few items on the vaults from my family plan.

Thankfully my iOS devices still have access to my 576 items from my local vault that are being synced via iCloud, otherwise I would have lost all password access.

Might be important:

I had a family plan with 2 small vaults on 1Password.com. The personal plan where my 576 local vault items migrated to, could be see on 1password.com AND the 1password app on my mac for about 2 days.

The personal plan (created when I signed up for the 3 year individual plan) and family plan used the same Email password. I even used the same 1Password.com password, in part, because they stared the same secret key.

I am using 1password v7.9.3 on macOS 12.3.

Timeline:

2022 Mar 19

• signed up for the 3 year individual plan
  • found my 576 items in my iCloud synced vault were migrated to 1password.com
  • able to use both 1Password.com and 1password app on my mac to see the 576 items

2022 Mar 20

• able to use both 1Password.com and 1password app on my mac to see the 576 items

2022 Mar 21

• unable to unlock my 1password app on my mac
  • the 576 items in my personal migrated 1password.com account are gone
  • only my iOS devices that are still syncing my local vault via iCloud can see my 576 items

Recommendation:

Do not sign up for the 3 year individual plan if you have passwords in a local vault.

Do not assume that just because things are going OK for a few days, that they will stay OK.

You probably want to not sign u for a 3 year individual plan if you have a family plan.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• Hello @chongolcn2! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into some trouble when signing up for a 1Password account. I see that you've written in via email as well and I recommend that you work with our team there. Please don't send multiple emails at once without first receiving a response since that can push you back in the queue and cause you to wait longer for a reply. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread.

ref: GWB-59355-691

This discussion has been closed.