"1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser"

vancleve
vancleve
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

On macOS 12.3, I'm now seeing that my desktop 1Password (7.9.2) can't verify the chrome browser extension (2.3.0). When I go to "Troubleshooting->Restart 1password Extension Helper" I get:
"1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser"
and unlocking the 1password app won't unlock the browser extension.

thoughts?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• Hey @vancleve:

Great question! Are you running into this with Google Chrome? Google recently changed the code signing certificate for Chrome, which resulted in 1Password 7 requiring an update to recognize this new certificate. Does updating 1Password to the current latest version (7.9.3) improve your state of play? How to keep 1Password up to date

Let me know!

Jack

• vancleve
    vancleve
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Hi Jack, thanks for the response! Yup, Google Chrome.

Yes, I think the update helps, thanks!

• @vancleve

On behalf of Jack, I'm happy to hear that the update resolved the issue. 😊

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

Thanks for the "changed Chrome certificate" information. It explains what I've been seeing recently.

For what it's worth, when dealing with this issue on Macs (mine and my clients'), it seems most effective to uninstall the Chrome extension and reinstall it using the 1Password menu on the menu bar. But why is a sign-in to our 1Password online account then required? That's new.

It appears the new Chrome extension performs "inline" similar to Safari. But, sometimes when my clients and I try to use 1Password inline in Chrome, instead of behaving like in Safari, it puts up a "Use 1Password shift-command-X" popup. What is that about, especially since pressing shift-command-X doesn't seem to do anything? That pop-up doesn't always appear, though--sometimes the popup just says "Use 1Password." Does that have to do with 7.9.2 vs. 7.9.3?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @billj, it sounds like the extension was unable to connect with the 1Password app on your computer. That's why you were asked to sign in. That's also why you are sometimes asked to unlock the extension with Command+Shift+X.

Please try the following to resolve those issues:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension.

Let us know how that goes!

• kevinsmith9
    kevinsmith9
    Community Member

Will there be a fix for 1Password 6 at all?

I upgraded to Chrome (Version 99.0.4844.83 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    ) last week, and since then I have been getting can't verify browser error.

(Long time 1Password user here :-(. I do plan to switch to 1Password subscription soon though. Just procrastinating.)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kevinsmith9 thanks for reaching out. Although your license for 1Password 6 for Mac hasn't expired (and never will), the last update to that version was in May of 2018. 1Password 6 is no longer being actively developed and will not receive a fix for this. If you would like to use 1Password in Chrome, I would recommend upgrading to a membership.

We may be able to help with a promotion for the membership. If you are interested, please reach out to us directly at support+tradein@1password.com. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here so we can locate your ticket, and then we can put you in touch with our Migration team.

This discussion has been closed.