To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused 1Password 6 user

Options
slorek
slorek
Community Member

Hi

I am a long-time user of 1Password 6 and looking to move on as it is now no longer working with the latest Chrome or Windows 11.

The move to a subscription model was very confusing for me as appeared to remove certain features that I required and this was not explained very clearly, hence I have held onto version 6 until now.

I have found it very hard to find straight answers to questions I have about features that are important to me. Would anyone mind confirming whether if I paid for a subscription to 1Password I would continue to benefit from these features I currently do with 1Password 6:

1. Offline access to my passwords across multiple devices, i.e no Internet connection required once synced.
  2. If I pass away, and my wife fails to keep my subscription payments up to date (which i suspect she won't), she or someone else will still be able to access the passwords and other data in my 1Password vault indefinitely (ie. they will never be deleted from my devices and the apps will continue to work without nagging for billing information first). This is VERY important to me as it will be needed to manage my estate. I have seen the 'Emergency Kit' thing but it does not answer the billing question and what happens if payments are not kept up to date and offline access.
  3. I will continue to be able to export all of my data if I decide to move to another password manager
  4. Direct upgrade path from 1Password 6 to the latest version

I have also heard about a discount for standalone users, but haven't received anything - where can I find this?

Many thanks.

Steve

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @slorek:

Great questions, and I'd be happy to dig into them further with you.

Offline access to my passwords across multiple devices, i.e no Internet connection required once synced.

Assuming 1Password on your device is up to date with all your recent changes, you can go offline and continue to access your items, on a plane for example.

If I pass away, and my wife fails to keep my subscription payments up to date (which i suspect she won't), she or someone else will still be able to access the passwords and other data in my 1Password vault indefinitely (ie. they will never be deleted from my devices and the apps will continue to work without nagging for billing information first).

If you were to let the billing lapse, your 1Password account would go into a frozen state: If your 1Password account is frozen

While your account is frozen, you cannot add new items, or fill in your browser, but your wife would continue to be able to access items in the 1Password account indefinitely. You've also touched on the Emergency Kit, and storing that somewhere safe would be your best bet. We're unable to reset account passwords or gain access to anyone's unencrypted data, so ensuring that a copy of your Emergency Kit containing your account password as well is left with any other end of life documents would be your best bet.

I will continue to be able to export all of my data if I decide to move to another password manager

We never want you to feel trapped or locked in, so you can always export your data out if you decide to give another password management solution a try: How to export data from 1Password

Direct upgrade path from 1Password 6 to the latest version

After signing up for a 1Password account, you can migrate your vaults into your 1Password account and then update to the latest version of 1Password on all your devices.

As for the trade in discount mentioned, please reach out to us directly at support+tradein@1password.com, and include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128204/confused-1password-6-user#latest. My colleagues on our Migration team would be able to get the ball rolling on the discount, which is 50% off for 3 years. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our helpful robot assistant, with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect the dots and make sure your email has gotten to the right place.

Jack

• slorek
    slorek
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack, thanks for your helpful reply to my questions. I've emailed the team and the support ID is #JJV-34145-894.

• Blake
    edited April 2022
    Options

Thanks for sharing that here! We'll continue our conversation there via email, so keep an eye out on your email inbox! 💙

ref: JJV-34145-894

This discussion has been closed.