Can I assemble password string with OTP?

Options
DZelenak
DZelenak
Community Member

Unsure if this is the proper forum, but here goes.

Is there a way to be able to assemble a string that would consist of ","

We have a few applications that require the password followed by a comma and then the OTP to authenticate with MFA via non-rich interfaces (think Switch/Router SSH prompts). Right now, we're copying the password, and then typing in the comma followed by the OTP. Would be great if I could click a field, copy it and simply paste the entire string in with one step.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.3
Referrer: forum-search:Password comma OTP

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DZelenak

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I can appreciate the thought of trying to make this workflow easier. 😊 There isn't anything in 1Password for Mac that would automate this for you, but you might consider building a script using our CLI to do it. The documentation on the CLI is available here:

1Password CLI Developer Documentation

I don't have a proof of concept to share off-hand, but some pseudo code that might help get you started is:

op signin
    password = $(op item get MySwitch --fields label=password)
    otp = $(op item get MySwitch --otp)
    passAndOtp = $password + "," + $otp
    echo $passAndOtp | pbcopy

I hope that helps!

Ben

• raf2000
    raf2000
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I've registered just for making this comment: I'm a new user and I was looking for "how to concatenate a string with the OTP in 1password". To may dismay, I see conversations with this exact same topic from 2017. This is 2022 and the exact same person is, 5 years later, telling us: "NO. Do it yourself. Here's some code". Nice.

• jjjttt
    jjjttt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid I have to agree with user raf2000. There are so many threads asking for this feature and it is a really common use case. You encounter it everywhere, basically.
    Considering this, it's hard to understand why this hasn't been implemented yet -half a decade after the first request-, since the implementation should be really straightforward with existing features: just add a button to copy password + OTP as single string to clipboard. We can copy each password separately already and concatenating two strings is a one liner at best in most programming languages.
    The feature is fairly simple so how hard can it be to implement this functionality? If the password is "uiae" and the OTP is "123456", send the string "uiae123456" to the clipboard. Add an option to add a custom separator character in between.
    1password is a great tool otherwise which is why missing this feature is especially disappointing.

• Hi @jjjttt,

I appreciate your feedback and, while I can’t make any promises, I have added your feature request to our internal tracker. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help with in the future!

ref: IDEA-I-702

This discussion has been closed.