Beta 8 has some weird UI decisions

Options
markomitranic
markomitranic
Community Member

Hey there gang,

I've been using beta 8 for a couple of days now and my foremost major regret is that it has some weird (small) UI decisions that generally make working with it a lot slower. Let me take you through an example flow that I experienced today...

One such example is the fact that the menu bar icon (on mac, not sure abot others) no longer opens the 1Password window. I have to go through a couple of clicks before i get to 1Password.

Even then, there is a weirdly slow unlocking animation that seems to serve no real purpose other than to slow me down. In 1Pass 7 I would have already been finished with copying what I needed. In 8, I haven't even fully opened the window yet.

Then, I have to find it. The search now offers quicksearch functionality in a website-style dropdown, which doesn't show any real details of the results. So, I type in "marko.mitranic" and i can observe 5-6 top results which are not what I'm looking for. Because its my name, so i have hundreds of logins that match that string. In 1Pass 7, they would be presented as a filtered list, so i could quickly scroll and find what I'm looking for. In 8, if i click on any of them, the search list disappears and I have to do the search all over again.

I try filtering a bit more "marko.mitranic key". I have some results, a couple of notes, all similarly named, but I am unsure which one it is. Usually I'd just press arrow down 2-3 times to loop through the list and look at the details of each one. Since this is a dropdown list, i have to click them one by one, and then go back to search after each click.

Ok, on the bottom of the dropdown there is a "show all matching items" button. First off, the button is there even if there are no matching items, which makes the feedback loop slower. I have to click yet one more time for no reason. When I click it, I am finally put into a "filtered list" mode. I click through them and find the one I'm searching for. In the "filtered list" Its the first one on the list. But in the quicksearch, it wasn't even in the results...

Just to make sure I'm sane, i do the same thing via "Quick Access" search bar. Same result, for both phrases i typed in, my result was not found at all. I had to click "show all", wait for the window to open, and then it was the first result on the list.

Finally, just for the sake of it, I test out the same process on the browser plugin. I click the Brave browser extension, which still has the old UI. I type "marko.mitranic" in, and the FIRST result is magically the thing I'wanted. (btw I'm not on the appropriate website, and its a note, so its just a lucky guess). I copy the value within 1 second, no fancy animations or anything, and I'm done.

Oh, a bit more fun now. So In the process above, I discover that my system still has 1Password 7 installed for some reason - the app is not named the same, and that my Brave plugin was actually an older version, still communicating with 1P7. Weird that I never got asked to update. Then, I try removing 1P7 the normal Mac way - by deleting the app icon - and it ends up being a pain in the ass, the OS won't allow me, because the app is "open".

I hope this feedback is helpful :) I tried to be as detailed as possible in what was my intent at any given point, and also explain how I did this with 7.

Recap:

• The menu icon no longer opens the quick window, I have to click multiple times and wait for animations before i can use 1pass. I've discovered hidden within settings that there is a way to change this. Weird that it was hidden.
  • qucksearch/quickaccess show different results than a "filtered list"
  • quicksearch does not allow quickly looping through the list and peeking into each secret, instead i have to make a decision based on the secret title and username (which are usually exactly the same for multiple secrets)
  • was never asked (or forced) to update the browser plugin. I had to go and manually download a new one, and then manually delete the old one.
  • In fact then I discovered that it was still using 1Pass 7. So, a beta extension was choosing to open 1P7 instead of 1P8.
  • 1P8 install did not automagically replace 1P7.
  • Removing 1Pass 7 required advanced OS knowledge and some google skills. Simply because the app was named differently and considered to be in an "open" state even when it was not.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.7.0
Extension Version: Brave / 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

I like the new options for menu bar icon behavior, and don't feel the setting was too hidden. Maybe the default should be changed to Show Quick Access?

I see a couple of small bugs with Quick Access behavior; I'll make another post about them.

The search, quicksearch, and search-substring inconsistencies that you mention have been discussed elsewhere on the forum. They drive me crazy too.

I'm also keeping 1Password 7 installed for now, largely because of these search issues. So I'm glad that 1Password 8 didn't automatically replace or uninstall 1Password 7. I think that some of the update issues you mention will be simplified when 1Password 8 becomes the default and is pushed as an update.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The new search is still the biggest issue for me that lets me stay on 1Password 7. There were small changes/fixes during early access and beta testing but version 8 still only finds a fraction of what 7 finds. The addition of a separate find command was a nice addition but I have to try search and find in order to hopefully get what I was looking for. I wish they would just bring back the far superior search (UI and algorithm) from the previous version.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed 100%. I doubt that you and me complaining repeatedly will help, but I'm confused that there isn't a widespread revolt! Are we being overly demanding? Overly critical? Are we the only people who search? I feel like Don Quixote.

I noticed something else interesting about search.

For an item with this website URI: https://example.com/sometext/blah/

When searching for sometext:

• 1Password 8 DOES find the item
    • 1Password 7 does not find the item
    • 1Password Web does not find the item

(Of course, if you were to search for xample or text then 1Password 8 wouldn't find the item ...)

• Hey @markomitranic:

Thanks for your feedback here. 1Password 8 is going to continue to evolve even after the official launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, much in the same way we've continued to iterate and develop 1Password 8, first with our stable release on Linux followed by our stable release on Windows.

I'm glad to hear you were able to successfully uninstall 1Password 7 in order to give 1Password 8 a try. Additionally, I'm going to share your feedback with the team as well. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback as we work to make 1Password the best it can be!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.