Latest Beta will not fill a new 1PW entry using text Macros from Typinator.

Options
FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member

I have used Typinator for many years. It is published by Ergonis Software and the founder is a brilliant engineer, just as Dave Teare is.

The latest Mac beta v 8.7.0 has a problem. I bought a new piece of software and wanted to add my license information to the category Software Licenses.

One of the fields on the 1PW form for Software Licenses is to enter my registered e-mail address. I have a Typinator Macro that enters my full e-mail address from a three-letter code (that isn't a word).

I type the three-letter code, and 1PW did not replace the code with the e-mail address from Typinator. This code works everywhere, in an e-mail (just tested it here, and it works), Finder window, MS Word, Facebook, literally everywhere. Except it does not work in the new 1PW beta. Doesn't work in the browser version, doesn't work in the full version. Just doesn't work.

I consider this failure a bug and would like to see it fixed, please.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3

Comments

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue with macOS built-in keyboard text replacements. Perhaps it is related.

Several fields where macOS text replacement worked in 1Password 7 don't allow text replacement in 1Password 8.

Text replacement works in title, username, text, and notes fields.
    It doesn't work in email or website.

I notice that in the fields where it works, incorectly spellt wrods get a nice dotted red underline.
    In the fields where text replacement isn't performed, there's no spellcheck.

• Hey @FogCityNative / @volts:

Thanks for asking! Because we use a feature called Secure Input in macOS to protect your data from being read by other applications when you're editing an item, applications like Typinator (or TextExpander which we use heavily here) won't expand in fields we mark as Secure Input. When and where we enable Secure Input is something we're evaluating, and I've shared your feedback on when we use Secure Input in our internal issue. Thanks for sharing your feedback as we work to make 1Password the best it can be.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#13958

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you for the explanation. I, as the authenticated user, should not be locked out of creating password forms in your Application.

Anything I need to fill out that is of a repetitive nature should work with text macros like Typinator or TextExpander. E-Mail, Phone Number, Name, Address, etc.

At least on the Mac, if you are worried about security, add a TouchID verification to allow 1P to read text input and replace it.

What you are doing now is not working well and is overly protective IMHO.

At the very least, let ME CHOOSE if I wish a specific program to have permission to read my input and replace it. Set it up as a preference and secure with TouchID. Periodically ask for TouchID.

But do not simply lock me out, so I cannot use simple text macros at all. There are better ways than this brute force method.

• Hey @FogCityNative:

Thanks for following up. We are indeed quite protective, and I do agree that we might be a bit overprotective in this case. It would be absolutely great if we could use TextExpander and similar apps in more places. Indeed, with 1Password 8 for Windows, TextExpander is able to expand in certain fields, but not all of them, and I can see how it would be useful to expand in fields like the notes field.

You mentioned this happening in 1Password 8.7, were you able to use Typinator in more fields in previous versions of 1Password 8 when editing? Additionally, did Typinator work as expected in more fields with 1Password 7? Let me know, and I'll be happy to dig in further with you.

Jack

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

My recollection is that it not working came as a surprise. So yes, in previous versions, 1P and Typinator worked together. But this goes back to 1Password X and not a browser extension.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

... did Typinator work as expected in more fields with 1Password 7 ...

Secure Input wasn't applied to the Search field in 1Password 7. And it's not applied to Quick Access in 1Password 8 either.

It is applied to the Search field in 1Password 8, alongside all other text fields, including preferences (!).

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben wove some related threads together over here - https://1password.community/discussion/comment/634652/

Fair warning, it's a lot of me griping and moaning.

• Hey @FogCityNative:

Thanks for your additional feedback. We're definitely listening to this feedback and using it to inform the future of 1Password.

Jack

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Secure Input wasn't applied to the Search field in 1Password 7. And it's not applied to Quick Access in 1Password 8 either.
    It is applied to the Search field in 1Password 8, alongside all other text fields, including preferences (!).

I second this. 👆

I use a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and just updated to 1Password 8. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't scroll in inactive windows on hover while I had the 1Password main window open.

As mentioned in another thread, changing focus to the list in 1Password prevents the issue. Be great if focus on the Search field didn't cause the problem since that's what gets focus on launch.

• Thank you for this contribution, @Bikr. We can appreciate why this would cause an issue for you, and have passed your observations on to the development team. We'll look forward to improving the state of play on this.

This discussion has been closed.