Help with using Panic tools? (Transmit, Nova)

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited March 2022 in SSH

I'm trying to use the 1Password SSH Agent with Panic tools, but see weird behaviour, after adding the exported private key:

• In Transmit I still have to approve usage (which I like), despite using an exported private key
  • In Nova I have to type a (non-existing) passphrase for the public key, despite using an exported private key

What do I need to do to use the 1Password SSH Agent with these Panic tools?

1Password Version: 80700025 (Nightly)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.3

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Ah, I apparently cannot use IdentitiesOnly yes and have to define custom aliases for Panic tools:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/633604/#Comment_633604

I created one custom alias and can use that in both Transmit & Nova!

However, I don't like that I thus have to duplicate all hosts specifically for Panic tools...

(I'd rather not duplicate volatile information - EWD719)

• Just adding the 1Password socket to Host * in your SSH config is enough for both Transmit and Nova to talk to the 1Password agent. Two caveats though:
    1. It doesn't work with the Mac App Store version, so you'll have to switch to brew or a manual download.
    2. It doesn't allow setting public keys as IdentityFile.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Looks like agent forwarding is not working in Nova.

How can I find out whether this is an AgileBits or Panic issue?

• @XIII Does it work when using the OpenSSH agent?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Does it work when using the OpenSSH agent?

Oops: no...

BTW it looks like Nova is acting as the SSH agent itself?

("keys stored within Nova")

I’ll ask Panic.

• You have the option in Nova and Transmit to use their key management system (and that's probably also what that agent forwarding toggle would apply to), but you can also 'bring your own agent'. But for agent forwarding to work in that scenario, they'll have to make sure that their internal SSH client honors the ForwardAgent yes SSH config setting. That's outside of what an SSH agent can control.

This discussion has been closed.