I believe that the current browser extension login architecture is a misfeature

Mac and Linux user here. I commonly use the Safari browser on the Mac, and the Brave browser (Chromium-based), sometimes Firefox, and uncommonly the Tor browser on both platforms, depending on which one works best for the site and task I’m dealing with. The requirement to repeatedly log in to the browser extension, even for a single browser environment, and even when the 1Password desktop is running and logged in, has basically tipped the usefulness of the extensions’ functionality toward the negative. In the older architecture, as long as 1Password was logged in through one interface, it was logged in for all of them. Now, some few minutes (an interval which I am not given any control of) after my last use of the extension from a given browser, my attempt to use it again requires me to log in again. I’ve tried to find the value in the current scheme during the past week, but so far, I’m unconvinced. I am finding it easier to leave the desktop program up and running, and to do a simple copy/paste operation from there to whatever browser I’m trying to access a site from. That is, of course, the way that 1Password had to be used before the browser extensions were first developed, and for years, the extensions have represented a net gain in efficiency, but I no longer think that that’s true. One vote for going back to a system-global login state, please, and login validity durations that are under my control.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @Tburgueso

1Password does support Shared Lock State between the app and the browser extension. With that said, Linux has it's own set of quirks that can interfere with Native Messaging between 1Password and the browser. Can you tell me a little more about your current setup (Linux distro, browser, version of 1Password)? Do you have the both the 1Password app and the browser sandboxed?

This discussion has been closed.