Problems with Categories 8.6.1

JochenBake
JochenBake
Community Member
edited March 2022 in Windows

Problems with Categories 8.6.1

1. It is not possible to change the Category in the PC app. I don't want to use tags.
  2. No Drag and Drop to move to Category. Why not?

3. In Chrome I am prompted to save the Login Data, but I cannot select a Category.

I'm about to switch from Enpass to 1Password. But it only makes sense to me if I have categories. If none are offered in the browser and no switch is possible either, I can stop migrating. Because changing everything again later, when the function should work correctly, is too much effort.

1Password Version: 8.6.1
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: Win 11

Comments

• JochenBake
    JochenBake
    Community Member

I feel reassured that I have to stay with Enpass.
    The problem with the categories does not interest anyone here. As far as I can tell, tags are supposed to be used. How ugly are these #. If you want a decent look, use categories.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @JochenBake !

There are categories in 1Password, like "Logins", "Software Licenses", "Credit Cards" and a lot more, as you can see if you want to create an entry.

You will find all used categories on the left side, if you turn that setting on.

But you are not able to move entries between these categories. If you want to change a "Secure Note" into a "Software License" you have to create a new entry.

That's why you are not able to select a category when saving your login data from the browser into 1Password. These are automatically "Logins", but you could use tags to organize your logins. Tags are there to collect entries and help to organize entries that belong to the same "Interest Group" like #Work or #Home.

Maybe this could help:
    https://support.1password.com/favorites-tags/

• JochenBake
    JochenBake
    Community Member

I got that. But I don't want to use tags and stick to my beloved categories. Imagine me taking notes with 20 categories. Below that would be the tags. There is no such big monitor.
    I've been following the topic of categories on various forums for a while and don't understand why 1Password is so reluctant to do so.
    Pay more attention to the users and listen to them.
    To me, the tags with the # just look ugly and spoil the otherwise nice app.

Tell me a user who wants to manually create an entry in 1Password for a new login just to have it categorized. Make the program user-friendly and let's decide whether it should be tags or categories. I can't understand this compulsion from the developers.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

But I don't want to use tags and stick to my beloved categories.

But that's how 1Password is working. This was not implemented in 1Password v8. It's working this way since I switched to 1Password. I started with version 7 and for me this is working fine.

I also used a lot of other password managers and compared them. Enpass was one of them which a bought a Lifetime Premium license for. So, I know what you are talking about. I'm a customer like you here.

You can be sure that 1Password is hearing, and maybe they will change that behavior. I don't know. 😉

• Hi @JochenBake:

As @DenalB noted (thank you very much for the assist 😎), Categories are the primary overarching organizational topic, but by and large, most items will fall into one of three categories: Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities. Saving a login in your browser saves it to the Login category, as that's where fillable login items go. 1Password can fill items in the Logins, Passwords, Credit Cards, Identities, and SSH categories. If you'd like to fill an item from 1Password, it would have to be in one of those categories. Using linked items might be helpful here:

Link related items in 1Password

I think ideally in the future, we'd be able to fill any item type as long as the item has the required information, but we're not there quite yet.

Jack

• JochenBake
    JochenBake
    Community Member

They may listen, but they don't respond to users. Get rid of blockages and let's decide whether one wants tags or categories.
    The reason I switched to another password manager is that I want to have more order with folders. Enpass doesn't have one, and neither does 1Password. Now I'm wondering why should I switch?
    I am responsible for several homepages and their logins. I need a good overview. I get these with folders. Then a folder with login for database, mail, provider, etc. comes in for each customer.
    Now imagine that with tags? Impossible to see through.

Okay, I see I'm getting stuck here. Then I have to say goodbye and let the test phase run out.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @JochenBake !

but they don't respond to users

That's not true! As you can see in this community, every discussion gets answered by a stuff member from 1Password. I'm active in a lot of communities, and there are also a lot of them where no one answers or someone answers days, weeks or month later. 1Password is one of the companies that is hearing to its customers and tries to get things realized and implemented.

I get these with folders. Then a folder with login for database, mail, provider, etc. comes in for each customer.

This is also possible with tags. You are allowed to use sub-tags.

Yes, the handling of tags needs further improvement, but I think that this is something 1Password is working on in the future.

• JochenBake
    JochenBake
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

By reacting, I don't mean the answers, but the users' requests.
    Even if I realize that they want to convince me. I'm sticking with it and won't switch to 1Password. I don't get any added value to Enpass there and would even have to take out a subscription. 1Password was my favorite and I would have liked to switch, but there are alternatives I'll look into.
    Another point is that I don't have to switch.

Maybe see you again in a year or two. I keep an eye on developments.

I stick to it, the tags are not a solution for me - a pity

You can't even fold the tags. How long should a monitor be to be able to read them?

• Hi @JochenBake:

Thanks for following up. As @DenalB mentioned, we do listen to feedback, and there are numerous features we've implemented based on suggestions like yours. Collapsing tags is definitely something we've heard the desire for, and I've brought your thoughts up internally. Hopefully in the future we can improve to your liking, but in the meantime, stay safe out there when it comes to comes to choosing a password management solution.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-362

• theBorgsNet
    theBorgsNet
    Community Member

on this one and given it seems we still cannot change the category of a item and the point " 1Password can fill items in the Logins, Passwords, Credit Cards, Identities, and SSH categories. " where should a EMAIL account be - as a Login or a Email Category? would be nice to have a way to see all the emails in that category but not way to convert them to it and seems cannot be used to fill?

• Hi @theBorgsNet,

Thanks for your message. That's correct, there is not a way to change the category of an item. I've cast a vote on your behalf for the feature request we're tracking.

where should a EMAIL account be - as a Login or a Email Category?

If you are saving credentials to sign into an email account such as Gmail, a Login item is your best option so that it can be filled. The Email Account item can be used to store information like username, server, port number, and authentication method, as noted in our 1Password item categories support article.

I hope this helps, but do let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-716

This discussion has been closed.