How can I open the Safari extension and/or 1Password mini from the keyboard?

For as long as I can remember, I have been able to open 1Password in desktop Safari with the keyboard shortcut cmd-. Apparently this is 1Password "mini" and not the shortcut, but I don't care as long as it works and otherwise stays unobtrusively out of the way. Now I get get a message that I need to "Turn on the 1Password extension", which I've done. I've also restarted Safari and 1Password numerous times. I just can't get it to work.

An alternative would be a keyboard shortcut to open the 1Password extension with a keyboard shortcut but I see no option in the preferences or anywhere else for that.

I have absolutely no interest in leaving the 1password icon in the Toolbar and clicking it with my mouse. If I have to do that, then that would be final kick in the pants to change PW managers.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 2.3.1
OS Version: 11.6.4
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension keyboard shortcut

Comments

• adrian112
    adrian112
    Community Member

I just checked and cmd-\ (command plus back slash in case the formatting does not work) works correctly in every browser except Safari, including recognizing the domain and autofilling the correct info. Is there any way to get this to work correctly in Safari?

• Hey @adrian112:

Just to confirm, are you using 1Password for Safari extension, or the extension included in 1Password 7 for Mac?

1Password for Safari is our newer extension, but it only integrates with 1Password 8, and doesn't integrate with 1Password 7. If you're using 1Password 7, using the included extension would be your best bet.

Jack

• adrian112
    adrian112
    Community Member

You are correct. I would never have guessed what was going on on my own. So I have uninstalled 1Password for Safari ... even though what I needed to fix was 1Password for Safari.

Anyway, when I selected "Install browser extensions" in 1PW 7, nothing happened. After a reboot, it worked and I have my extension back working in Safari.

Thank you!

On side note, I don't get the 1PW versions at all: sure, I would be interested in 1Password 8 (if that's what 1PW for Safari is) but I want it to work in all browsers, not just Safari. At https://1password.com/downloads/mac/ I don't even see 1PW for Safari. I see 1PW beta for Mac, 1PW for Chrome, 1PW for Firefox. I don't recall see "beta" for 1PW for Safari in the App Store when I installed it. 1PW needs to make this easier for mere mortals like myself.

This discussion has been closed.