Touch ID not working on Safari

Options

I generally don't use Safari on my Mac, instead, I prefer Chrome. The 1P extension works great there and I can unlock 1P with Touch ID. This morning I opened Safari by mistake and I saw that the browser extension was locked. I clicked it and it required me to sign in using my secret key, etc. I figured once I did that on my Mac, all apps (Chrome, Safari, etc) were authorized. So I went ahead and used my secret key and went through all that and finally was able to click on the 1P extension icon and see my passwords. I closed Safari and opened it again and noticed the 1P icon was locked again. I clicked on it and did NOT get the option to use Touch ID. Is there a special setting? Then I went to preferences > Extensions and I see two different options. I'm confused as to which one I need to use? Do I need both?

(I tried to post screenshots and got "You are not allowed to post attachments in this category. Please remove any attachments to proceed."

1Password Version: 793
Extension Version: 2.3.1
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Let me try again...

• Hi @ajahn . Thanks for sharing the screenshot, that's super helpful.

I apologize for the confusion of the two extensions above. Allow me to explain:

A. The 1Password extension is the built-in extension that comes with the installation of your 1Password 7 desktop app. It works the best with the 1Password 7 desktop app.

• If you want to use the 1Password 7 desktop app, you'll need to use this extension. Then, I'd suggest you uninstall the 1Password for Safari extension.

B. The 1Password for Safari extension is our recent product that is built for the 1Password 8 Early Access version. It will not integrate with 1Password 7 desktop app. That's why you cannot use the Touch-ID to unlock it.

With that said, if you want to unlock the 1Password for Safari extension with Touch-ID, let's try 1Password 8 Early Access version. Here's the link to download the: 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access 🥰 — 1Password Support Community. Once you have installed 1Password 8 EA, I'd suggest you uninstall 1Password 7 to prevent conflicts.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kevin.li , thanks for the info. I am using 1Password 7 on my Mac, so I prefer to stay with that for now. I will uninstall the 1Password for Safari extension. I suppose I should also remove the B item as well?

I just clicked on the Uninstall button on the second screen above and got:

What is the 1Password for Safari application? I thought it was a plugin? Please advise.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe related to this?

• Hi @ajahn ,

Sorry again about the confusion there. We will need to move the 1Password for Safari in the Applications folder to the Trash and empty the Trash. We will also need to make sure Safari is closed before doing that.

I believe you already located the 1Password for Safari in the Application folder.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I moved it to the Trash and emptied the trash. Funny thing, when I right-clicked on it and selected "move to trash" it popped up the Touch Id option and I had to unlock it before it moved it to the trash. Now, do I uninstall it from Safari?

• Hey @ajahn:

Now that 1Password for Safari has been uninstalled, it should be removed from Safari's extension preferences as well. Check the box next to 1Password as shown in your first screenshot, and let me know if everything works as expected!

Jack

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Worked like a charm. I did have to check the checkbox in front of it as you said. It asked for confirmation. I 1P then when I clicked the icon it let me use Touch ID. Thank you @Jack.P_1P and @kevin.li for your quick responses and fast solution. It did seem a bit more confusing to set up 1P with Safari than with Chrome. And like I said, I never use Safari because Chrome, with your Google account, makes it so nice to see all your favorites, etc. anywhere you go. But now when Safari pops up I'll be able to find my passwords. Thanks, again.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ajahn On behalf of Jack and Kevin, you are welcome!

This discussion has been closed.