Moving Item that References Another Item

Options
srohde
srohde
Community Member

SHORT STORY
Is there a way I can avoid breaking references when moving items from one vault to another?

LONG STORY
I just upgraded my 1Password account to the Family Plan and have created a few new vaults for sharing and improved organization. I found that if I try to move an item that references another item, the following warning message is displayed:

example → An item of type "passport" that references an item of type "document", where the document is a PDF scan of a passport.

Even if I try to move both items at the same time to the new vault, the waring appears. I wish that the "Item References Found" modal included an option to "Move related item together and keep reference," but, alas, it does not. Is there I way I can move inter-referenced items from one vault to another vault without breaking the references?

Thanks!
Steve

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hello @srohde! 👋

Good question! It's not currently possible to retain item references when moving an item from one vault to another vault due to how the cryptographic architecture of 1Password works. 1Password doesn't actually "move" items from one vault to another. When you "move" an item 1Password creates an entirely new duplicate item in the destination vault with the same data as the original item and then it deletes the original item in the source vault. This is done because each vault in 1Password is encrypted using it's own private key.

Each item in 1Password has its own UUID which is a long string that uniquely identifies that item. When you link one item to another item it is the UUIDs of the two items that are associated with one another. When you "move" an item to another vault, 1Password creates a new duplicate item with a new UUID in the destination vault. This new UUID isn't the same as the UUID of the original item from before the move and so the item reference is broken.

That being said, I agree that it would be great if file references were retained when moving items to a new vault and I've forwarded your feedback to our developers.

If you're trying to store files such as a scan of your passport in 1Password then you can use the new file attachment feature. File attachments embed a file inside of another item (such as a Passport item) instead of just linking to a Document item. So if you move an item from one vault to another the attached file goes with that item. You can add a file attachment by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on an item and then click Edit.
    3. Scroll down and click Add New File.

I hope that helps. 😊

ref: dev/apple/issues#4283

This discussion has been closed.