Beta #12 of 2022 is now available πŸŒ’ β˜€οΈ

Options

Happy Beta Tuesday Wednesday, everyone! πŸ€—

We have some nice goodies for you today, starting with the new Appearance options in Preferences.

With the Density setting you can choose how close you'd like the sidebar and item list entries to be grouped. And use the Interface Zoom level to give your eyes a break like me, or if you have eagle eyes, reduce the zoom to fit more in the window. Oh, and yes, the Preferences window is indeed a separate window now. πŸ™‚

This release also includes an Internet Access Policy to declare and describe the internet connections we make. This is great as reverse firewall software can now show you the connections we're making and why. Here's how it looks like in action with Little Snitch:

We added animations throughout the app. They should feel snappy and fun so please let us know how they work for you. We've also implemented an improvement that should prevent Quick Access from getting stuck in a transparent state for some users. If this happens to you please let us know.

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! πŸ™πŸ»πŸ€—

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

This is the best beta yet.

πŸ‘

• Ben
    Options

That's so great to hear, @volts! πŸ™Œ Thank you!

Ben

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Yay! Can I take credit for the Internet Access Policy suggestion, or was it already on the roadmap? ;-)

• dteare
    Options

You absolutely can take credit, @snozdop! Your tweet was what got things rolling there. I’m glad you noticed as I meant to take a screenshot and tweet you directly but got distracted once I launched Twitter. As one typically does when opening Twitter. πŸ˜‚

Thank you for the suggestion! πŸ€—

++dave;

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare WOW! Preferences in a real window and can now close on the correct side. That's awesome! The issue now is that I've built up muscle memory to close it on the other side......... nope, not going there! ;-)

I do have to mention a fullscreen mode issue though in relation to the new preferences window. Open 1PW in fullscreen mode, then option preferences, the window also opens in fullscreen mode and the interface sits within at the top left. This window should open at its natural size but on top of the fullscreen 1PW main window.

I also feel that the instructions about enabling the SSH agent in the preferences window should mention adding an environment variable as well as the text to add to the config file. from what I read in the docs and from what @floris_1P stated in another thread, it appears that the ENV var is more useful so surely that should be mentioned inside the app rather than only on the web documentation?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare thank for finally moving preferences into a real window. One step closer to switch to v8🀩
    The only thing that keeps me from switching is search. Yes, it got better during early release and beta phase but it still finds less than v7 and the whole UI experience makes immediately switch back to v7😒 If possible please bring back the v7 search experience.
    Item counts in the sidebar would be icing on the cake... ehm, application and a preferences option to show/hide them would fit perfectly into the appearance category of the new preferences windowπŸ˜€

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

Can't agree with everything @viswiz said any more! The search especially, as stated in another post of mine, is very confusing. A simple, type term in box, and filter results in the list below would be amazing. Nothing over complicated.

Maybe the two approaches to search could be a preference too?

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

@rctneil

I was able to replicate your issue with the preferences window. I'll get a bug report filed. This full-screen opening of the preferences also seemed to have shown me another bug in that I cannot get the preferences window out of the full-screen mode. I am not sure if this is specific to me as I am detached from my typical external monitors. I can say a restart did not change things. The team will dig into it for sure. Thanks for reporting this.

Edit: I am on the nightly this could be a byproduct of that.

ref: dev/core/core#14249

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

There's a "can't escape full screen" issue with Quick Search too.

The Control-⬆️ and Control-⬇️ Mission Control shortcuts are useful when that happens.

• @volts

Thats' a good one. I am fond of the swipe gestures (I'm MacBook centric) but whatever works is just fine. I was unfamiliar with those, so I learned something new. Thanks.

This may have something to do with monitors or a more technical aspect the development staff can get into. My point is that I can reliably reproduce this on a MacBook Air. I cannot reproduce this full-screen trap behavior with My MacBook Pro and attached monitors. I have notated the specific behavior with the development team, hoping it can lead to a more straightforward fix.

Could you also tell me more about how you get into the Quick Search behavior? I am curious if the same behavior about the device exists on my end. I want to try to replicate your experience, and a complete set of steps will let me test it on the MacBook Pro and Air.

Thanks for any details you can provide.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for this great beta build! πŸ‘

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy - notes and reproduction steps here

I think the menu option has been renamed Open Item In New Window, but the steps are the same.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

@dteare @Ben I know I give you guys a lot of grief, but 1PW 8 is headed in the right direction. I honestly don't know why this app gets so much hate with Electron. Both Windows & Mac versions run buttery smooth for me on old computers.

For the new betas:

The new density option + search attachment name search option have made the app so much more enjoyable! Thank you very much

However, there is still more work to be done. See the pic.

It's time to get rid of this useless bar once and for all. It clutters up the interface, looks terrible with that scroll arrow and adds nothing to the user experience. Whomever on the design team thought it was a good idea, while well-intentioned, is wrong. Everything I have learned about UI/UX over 30 years goes against this. At the very least, give the user the option to X it out and remove this abomination.

• Thanks @volts

The team believes they have found the preferences full-screen trap and fixed it up. I'll give your steps a try and if necessary file a bug report. Thanks for working with me on this. I appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.