How can I print all usernames and passwords?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

I haven't done it in a long time, and I need a new copy for my safebox. I forgot how to do it. Please enlighten me, and thanks.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 7.9.3
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• Hello @jazzman! 👋

I understand that you would like to print out your passwords. I don't recommend exporting or printing your passwords since that will remove them from the secure and encrypted environment of 1Password. Any exported or printed copy of your passwords will be in plain text and so will be readable by anyone who views it.

In addition to this, if you change any of your passwords in the future the exported or printed copy will become outdated (it sounds like this has happened in your case with the previous copy that you printed). Rather than exporting and printing your items I recommend that, if you have a 1Password account, you instead download and print your Emergency Kit. You can write your account password on the Emergency Kit and store that in your safebox for emergencies. With the Emergency Kit you, or a loved one, will be able to access your 1Password account data.

Let me know if that helps. 😊

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

In the past, when I had a stand alone membership, I would make a copy of my usernames and passwords to put in my safe box. I no longer have the stand alone membership but the subscription. I thought I would continue to make a copy of my usernames and passwords to keep in my safe box. Frankly, this is for my wife just in case.

For security purposes, my vault is always encrypted, right? Whether I export or print anything doesn't change that I hope. I would hope nothing would expose the information in my vault. Please confirm that as I thought that was the major premise of 1 Password.

• @jazzman

Thank you for the reply. Your 1Password vault is encrypted and your data is end-to-end encrypted and protected using your account password and Secret Key as long as the data is saved inside of 1Password and nowhere else. When you export or print your data you're creating an unencrypted copy of your data that is no longer protected by 1Password.

If you'd like to make your 1Password data available to your wife in case of an emergency then, instead of printing your items, I recommend printing out your Emergency Kit instead and writing your account password on the kit before storing it somewhere safe and secure. Your wife will be able to use the Emergency Kit to access your 1Password data.

And if you have a 1Password Families membership then you can also share important data with your wife using 1Password so that you both have access to it: Share passwords with your family

Let me know if that helps. 😊

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you for the quick reply. I have already done exactly as you said. When I became a subscriber, I printed out my Emergency Kit and stored it. So I take it that you are not a fan of having a printed copy of usernames and passwords even in a safe box. I guess I can understand that. I appreciate your help and explanation of how you use 1Password.

• @jazzman

I'm happy to hear that you've printed out your Emergency Kit, make sure to write down your account password on the printed copy if you'd like your wife to be able to access your account in an emergency. Then store the printed copy in your safe box.

So I take it that you are not a fan of having a printed copy of usernames and passwords even in a safe box. I guess I can understand that. I appreciate your help and explanation of how you use 1Password.

I am indeed not a fan of printed copies of passwords. 😄 In general, there's almost never a need to print out your passwords and there's usually a better way to accomplish your goal. However, if you would like to print your passwords using the 1Password for Mac app then you can follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Select the vault you'd like to print items from.
    3. Select the items that you would like to print in the centre column.
    4. Click on File > Print. Enter your account password when prompted.
    5. Follows the prompts to print your items.

I hope that helps. 😊

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Your analysis makes sense to me. I appreciate your help.

• @jazzman

It's my pleasure. 😊

This discussion has been closed.