Set filename of exported key to title of SSH key; offer option to download to ~/.ssh folder

Options
Aktariel
Aktariel
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

Hello,

I would ask that when pressing "download" on a public or private key, the name of the downloaded file is set to the title of the SSH key in 1Password. Currently it is set to id_<keytype> which requires a manual renaming step when copying to my ~/.ssh folder.

Example:
I have ed25519-personal-2021 and ed25519-work-2022 and ed25519-random-oneoff inside 1Password; when downloading any of the public or private keys, the filenames are all set to id_25519.

This has two downsides:
1) I can't easily bulk download keys when setting up a new machine (I end up with id_25519, id_25519 (1), etc, and have to go back and manually compare the content of the keys and rename them and hope I got it right. As SRE reminds us, "hope is not a strategy."
2) similar to the above, there's additional overhead even when exporting one key, where I have to remember what I just exported and then manually rename it before copying to my ~/.ssh folder

Lastly, especially when downloading the public key, why not offer an option to download to the ~/.ssh folder? This would simplify the process even more.

1Password Version: 8.7.0-41
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

This discussion has been closed.