Share Personal Vault

Options
henryammons
henryammons
Community Member

I've searched and don't see any recent postings regarding sharing of one's personal vault within Families. Is this still prohibited? If so, I'm happy to use a shared vault but as soon as I move items, links to documents are broken. If I have to move to shared vaulting, how do I move a large quantity of items without losing links?

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 12.2.1

Comments

• Hey @henryammons:

Great questions! The Private vault is specific to each person and can't be shared with any other members of your 1Password account.

It's not currently possible to retain item references (like Related Items) when moving an item from vault to another due to how the cryptographic design of 1Password works. When you move an item from one vault to another, you're not actually "moving" an item. 1Password creates an entirely new duplicate item in the destination vault, then deletes the original item in the source vault. This is because each vault in 1Password is encrypted with its own private key.

As a follow on, each item in 1Password has its own UUID, a long unique string that identifies each item. When you link an item to another, what 1Password saves as the link is related to: f63nzor5etzxks7org53epnrf4. When you "move" an item to another vault, a new item is created, which results in a new UUID, and thus the link no longer pointing to the same item.

With all that said however, I absolutely agree that it would be nice if item or file references were retained when moving items, so I've shared your feedback with our developers.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-353

This discussion has been closed.