CLI 2 not connecting to desktop app; unable to determine parent process

Options
farmallfan
farmallfan
Community Member

Hello all - I'm trying to setup 1Password v8 with the CLI v2 coupled with biometric authentication (on Mac OS 12.2.1). I'm stuck at getting the CLI to talk to the desktop app:

➜ settings op vault ls
[ERROR] 2022/04/08 10:38:07 connecting to desktop app: determining parent proces of 1326: operation not permitted

• I've checked the Preferences -> Developer -> Biometric unlock for 1Password CLI
  • I've verified my op executable is in /usr/local/bin
  • I've verified the permissions are set to 600 on /Users/{username}/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/settings

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 8.7.0- build 80700041, beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• farmallfan
    farmallfan
    Community Member
    Options

Aha! Everything works fine in Terminal, but not in iTerm. Checking into what shell differences I might have setup...

• tchameroy
    tchameroy
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue with iTerm2, did you figure out a fix for it @farmallfan ?

• farmallfan
    farmallfan
    Community Member
    Options

No, not yet, sorry... Once we had the workaround of using Terminal, we grabbed that and kept going. Would prefer iTerm though. Oddly enough, others in the org who run iTerm did NOT have the issue, so it's likely something in the configuration.

• tyl3r
    tyl3r
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

Is a solution already known here? I have the same error.
    iTerm: "connecting to desktop app: determining parent proces of 34048: operation not permitted"
    Terminal: is working

• tchameroy
    tchameroy
    Community Member
    Options

@farmallfan I updated to the newest iTerm2 and it works for me now.

• Hey all, indeed, updating iTerm2 seems to fix this issue, in some cases.
    Can you please confirm whether upgrading to the latest version (3.4.15, at the moment of writing, on the stable channel) fixes the issue?
    Thanks!

Best,
    Horia

• teabotx
    teabotx
    Community Member
    Options

I've updated iTerm but it's still not working for me.

• Thank you for your followup! I understand that the error is something along the lines of:

connecting to desktop app: determining parent process of <pid>: operation not permitted

Can you please share what process has the ID? You can find that using ps aux. This will help us debug as we'll know whether it's going to far up the parent tree or whether there's another problem.

Also, if you are willing to install pstree (brew install pstree), that would be even more helpful.

In that case, if you can first run the op command and copy the error message and then immediately run pstree -w -p $$, that would be of great help. Then we have the full process tree and the PID of the process that is causing the problem.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Best,
    Horia

• fiddler
    fiddler
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue with the latest iTerm2 and M1 MBP. Any progress on the solution?

The process PID for me points to this:

• Hey @fiddler. Thank you for reporting back with that extra context. That gives me an idea as to what is happening and I have been able to reproduce the problem in one way. We're working on a fix.

• Hey folks, we've just released v2.5.1 of 1Password CLI which should resolve the issue you were facing. Could you let us know if updating the CLI to v2.5.1 resolves the issue for you?

@farmallfan @tchameroy @tyl3r @teabotx @fiddler

• fiddler
    fiddler
    Community Member
    Options

Boom, nice fix! Seems to work for me. Thank you! <3

• I am super glad this got sorted out!
    Let us know if there are any other occurrences of this!

Thanks,
    Horia

This discussion has been closed.