using 1Password on iOS Firefox

ErnieS
ErnieS
Community Member

It appears that one cannot integrate the 1Password app on iOS devices using Firefox. Is that correct? If not, how do you integrate the app into Firefox on the iPhone/iPad?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:using 1Password on iOS Firefox

Comments

• vellum
    vellum
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

@ErnieS

Works on my iphone with firefox.

1password needs permission on the ios device:
    On the device home screen, tap settings.
    Tap passwords. (It's nearly halfway down the settings menu)
    Enter the device passcode.
    Tap autofill passwords.
    Turn on autofill passwords.
    Then from the options, tap 1password.
    * more detailed instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/ios-autofill/

While I dont use safari on ios,
    if you do & want to use 1password in safari:
    Go back to the device's settings menu.
    Tap safari. (It's further down the menu)
    Tap extensions.
    * more detailed instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-safari-ios/

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

OK. I guess this is my confusion. In Safari the integration on the iPad is smooth and the 1Password icon shows up on the address line, making life very easy for logging in. For Firefox on the iPad, I cannot find a way to make the icon for 1Password show up on the address line. When I go to a login form on a Web site on the iPhone or iPad and touch the login area, I can choose 1Password to fill in the credentials from a popup window. This does work, but it requires a series of clumsy operations involving several steps. On the iPad at least, I would like to have the 1Password icon on the address line so I don't have to go looking for the 1Password app, open it with its password, etc., etc.

It looks like this is not possible. It was very smooth to implement this integration on Safari. If It's not possible to have the same kind of integration between 1Password in iOS, I may resort to using Safari rather than Firefox as my browser.

Also, the recommended settings are already in place on both devices.

• vellum
    vellum
    Community Member

Safari is built by apple, so it has the coolest features.

Firefox for ios works the way you describe. It's a third party browser, so it's built on the ios core webkit. It's basically a Safari skin. But it seems there some cool features in Safari that aren't in the webkit.

(In mac os, third party browsers are built on their own code.)

• @ErnieS

I'm sorry for the confusion about using 1Password in Firefox on the iPhone and iPad. @vellum is correct, our 1Password in the browser web extension is only available for Safari on the iPhone/iPad since only Safari currently supports web extensions on those devices. However you can still fill your login credentials into websites open in Firefox by using Password AutoFill.

If you're interested in trying Safari then you can indeed use 1Password for Safari. 1Password for Safari features greatly improved filling capabilities and offers an experience that is similar to what you're already used to with 1Password for the browser on the desktop.

I hope that helps. 😊

This discussion has been closed.