Issues with 1Password in Safari and Safari Tech Preview

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Feedback on 1Password v8.

Comments

• jeliker
    jeliker
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1Password8 on macOS with Safari, Firefox, Edge, and Safari Technology Preview. I've found the extension in Safari Tech. Preview doesn't work properly (though it did with 1P7). When I try to unlock within the browser, I'm prompted to authenticate which appears to work but I see Safari (not the Tech. Preview) "blip" as though the extension is calling the wrong browser internally. In essence it's unlocking but only for the installation in Safari not within Safari Tech. Preview (even though I initiate the unlock from Safari Tech. Preview which is otherwise an entirely separately application).

• rob
    Options

Hey, @jeliker.

I split your comment into its own thread because it seems to be a separate issue from the things being discussed in the original thread. I don't have an answer for you right off, though, so I'm going to see if one of our browser experts can chime in here soon.

• Hi @jeliker! Jarek here from the Browser Experience team at 1Password, thanks for getting in touch with us about this problem.

We're aware of issues like the one you've described above that can arise when using 1Password in your Browser from Safari and Safari Tech Preview on the same machine. These issues are being tracked internally and I've added your report in this thread to the dialogue 😄. In the meantime, our recommendations are as follows:

• Use the 1Password extension only in stable Safari
    • Alternatively, turn off "Integrate with the 1Password app" from the 1Password extension's settings in Safari Tech Preview

Let me know if either of those suggestions are helpful for you!

• jeliker
    jeliker
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Jarek. Both suggestions seem valid but the more useful (though tedious) work-around for me is this:

• Enable and authenticate the extension in either Safari when prompted to unlock
    • In the other, disable/re-enable the extension and, lo, it's unlocked

I rely on some password manager and have to use multiple browsers (which is why I have four Firefox instances, Edge, and both Safari's) for the nature of my work. Giving up password management in one instance is difficult to stomach.

• Hi @jeliker:

Thanks for following up on this. It's important to note that Jarek's suggestion about disabling "Integrate with the 1Password app" in the 1Password extension settings within Safari Tech Preview would only apply to unlocking 1Password in Safari Tech Preview with the 1Password desktop app. Instead of being able to use Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock, entering your account password would be necessary.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.