password generation basis/rules

Options
vishalsheth
vishalsheth
Community Member

Different sites have different password rules. Can it not be fixed so when generating a new password then the new is generated as what was set earlier unless I make a change. For eg. I choose 15 characters for a site 1, it should remain the same till I change it. Even I've generated for another 40 character for a different site 2, when I return for generating for the site 1 it would generate 15 characters only. This should also include the alphanumeric combination remain the same.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:password generation

Comments

• Hi @vishalsheth:

By default, the password generator will retain the settings of when it was last used. With that being said, we're always looking for ways to improve the user experience and I have submitted a feature request in our internal tracker. While I cannot promise anything, our developers will take a look at the report and decide if it's something that'll be implemented in a future version of 1Password.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Alvin

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I would like to add suggestion here that if this new option is being introduced then let the default be the same as it's not but allow to modify when needed. So one can make changes only to those accounts where this is needed or known to the user. Some site do not allow certain special characters and such could be checked off or something similar. So if an account only allows special character like "@,#","-", then only those are. checked so when generating for such sites only allowed are used in generation.
    I'm hoping I've been able to explain it well. If there's anything then do let me know.
    thank you once again.

• Hey @vishalsheth:

On behalf of Alvin, you're very welcome!

Just as an additional note, 1Password in the browser's Smart Password Generator when generating a "smart password" in the browser relies on both the passwordrules HTML attribute, as well as the apple/password-manager-resources repository created by our friends at Apple. If a site sets passwordrules, or if their rules have been added to the password-manager-resources list, 1Password in the browser will use those rules to generate a password that meets their requirements. Additionally, we've restricted the special characters used by the password generator to !@.-_*, as we've found that these are accepted in most places.

Let me know if that helps!

Jack

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Jack.P_1P ,

Thank for the information. I changed passwords for a few sites today but it didn't generate as per the site rules. This is FYI so you can update it to the team. Also I see a feature that would edit the password in my 1password account when I'm changing the password. A suggestion here that if the update could happen after I'm logging out of the site to login again with new password. This confirms the password has actually been changed. The pop up comes as soon as I selected the suggested password.

• Hi @vishalsheth,

To clarify, the passwordrules that Jack mentioned are a feature of how websites are built. The actual requirements for a given website's passwords aren't always coded into their HTML, and will vary from website to website.

Regarding when you see the confirmation window when changing a password, I understand the friction there and have experienced it myself! I'll share your feedback with the team and I appreciate you taking the time to explain the scenario. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1515

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P
    It not only about websites. I could have my own password without website or it could be a pin or done other kind of password with its own conditions. One can’t rely on website unless 1pw is designed for websites only.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm hoping a note has been made and I'm looking forward and update with this.

• Hi @vishalsheth,

I can confirm your earlier feedback was recorded. I don't have any updates to share at the moment but I appreciate you following up. If you're interested in seeing what new features are on their way to 1Password, I recommend exploring the 1Password for Mac Beta Releases.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.