1Password 8: Iconography

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

First of all: 1Password 8 looks great!

I noticed that the icons for things like "All Items", "Favorites", "Watchtower", "Tags", "Archive", and "Recently Deleted" are different on iOS and macOS.

Would you consider making them the same for easier visual recognition?

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (80700045 Nightly)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1, iPadOS 15.4.1, macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @XIII, thank you for your feedback! We've been working on aligning our iconography across the board and you'll see some of the new icons trickle into the desktop app soon.

However, although the situation is still fluid since the iOS app is in active development, we have made certain stylistic choices about how we display these icons on mobile versus on desktop, an example of which is how they're surrounded by a colorful circle and rendered in a single tone. I'm curious if your feedback is focused on that aspect of the icons in particular, or rather on the different shapes some of these currently have due to the updated icons not having landed on the desktop app yet.

By the way, you should be able to check out the updated icons in our Desktop app tomorrow or Friday, if you are on the Nightly version.

Cheers,
    Gabriele

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I'll check tomorrow/Friday...

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

They're more similar after upgrading to macOS version 8.7.0 (80700070, Nightly), but still too different (according to me).

I think I'd prefer them to be identical (including the circle on both or on neither).

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The circular icons look a bit strange especially since the majority of icons is rectangular. I would prefer identical icons across mobile and desktop versions as well.

• Thanks for your feedback @XIII and @viswiz. I've tracked your comments. As we keep developing the app, we'll review these and see if we can make some improvements.

If you have further questions or thought, don't hesitate to let us know, always happy to help :)

Cheers,
    Gab

• dustin555
    dustin555
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

On the round/square issue on mobile, I also feel there's a disconnect with using both shapes.

For example, on the "Settings" page, all the icons are monotone squares—and look quite lovely, btw—so reserving that square shape for built-in, non-customizable items seems like how the app could convey that distinction. This continues on the "Home" page: "Logins," "Passwords," and "Software Licenses" are also square/not customizable. But "Secure Notes," "Credit Cards," "Documents," "Secure Notes," "Archive," and others break that pattern and are still somewhat skeuomorphic in their shape. Either way is acceptable, but having all those consistently shaped would be clearer.

Likewise, you could designate round icons for users, individual vaults, individually-saved items, etc., to show they're not always solely dictated by the app and can be customized.

This discussion has been closed.