Does 2 Factor Work With Sites That Telephone Call Back

Options
crablice
crablice
Community Member

Many sites that have moved to 2 Factor Authentication automatically text your mobile phone. Then you have to key in the numeric code. This doesn't seem as good as an app but since the app 1Password may support it doesn't do much good if most sites don't use it.
How is 1Password 2 Factor work?

1Password Version: 9.7.4
Extension Version: 2.3.1
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @crablice:

To use 1Password as an authenticator, the website will need to provide a QR code (during the setup process) for 1Password to scan. To learn more about how to use 1Password an an authenticator, please refer to our support guide here: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Let me know if you have any questions. 😊

Alvin

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information. These financial web sites aren't doing QR codes. And they don't seem interested in improving.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

@crablice

Hopefully TOTP-based two-factor authentication using an authenticator app is something that more banks will support in the future. I find that many websites do offer the option to use an authenticator app (like 1Password) but you're right that there are some websites that still only support SMS text. Personally, I add a #SMS tag to the Login item for that site in 1Password so that I remember that I have SMS-based two-factor authentication turned on for that website. A tag won't allow you to use 1Password to receive the one-time passcode for those sites (you'll still need to receive a text message) but it may help with categorizing those Login items.

You can read more about tags here: Organize with favorites and tags

I hope that helps. 😊

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the idea. It would be good if the stock brokerages upgraded their sites also. Thanks for your help.

• On behalf of Dave, you're most welcome @crablice !

This discussion has been closed.