QR code scanning isn't functioning in 1Password for Mac

Options
13»

Comments

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I have this happen sometimes; I've found that if zoom in on the page, the image gets bigger also and then 1P Desktop app was able to pick it up. (Couldn't test plugin b/c I'm using Orion , which 1P still doesn't support - But that's a 13 page discussion for another day).

This happened to me just today when setting up a new Cloudflare account.

• @rtgibbons

I set up two-factor authentication recently for a new Cloudflare account and I can say I needed to zoom in on my QR code and after doing so I was able to scan the code. If I recall correctly the code was very dense. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. I've let the team know this. I'll get you added to my report.

ref: dev/core/core#21588

• coil_of_wire
    coil_of_wire
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still having this problem at least half the time using 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007011).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@coil_of_wire

I'm sorry that you're running into the issue as well. Are you able to provide the specific websites where you're running into the issue so that our developers can investigate further? Just post the website address, do not post your username or password.

In the meantime, you should be able to scan the QR codes on those websites using the browser extension: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

-Dave

• coil_of_wire
    coil_of_wire
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P sorry, that was dumb… it’s AWS.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@coil_of_wire

Thank you for posting the website. If you zoom in on the QR code from AWS are you then able to scan it using the desktop app? If that doesn't work then are you able to scan it using 1Password in the browser?

-Dave

• coil_of_wire
    coil_of_wire
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I'm able to make it work if I open the image in a new tab (and maybe a couple of tries).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@coil_of_wire

Thank you for the reply. I've added your report to the internal work item open with our development team for the issue so that they can investigate further.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#19783

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a bit curious as to what people are seeing here. In 1P7 on Mac, clicking the 'scan QRCode' button would bring up a window with a viewfinder on it which we were meant to centre on the QRCode to be scanned.

In my installation of 1P8 (current release), absolutely nothing happens. I click on the little QRCode button in the new login item editing window, and nothing at all happens. Ever. Regardless of what website I'm on. Am I meant to see the same kind of window as in 1P7? Is 1P8 somehow scanning my screen looking for QRCodes automatically (if so, I really wish it wouldn't)?

• @NomadUK

No, with 1Password 8 we look at the screen itself; there is no viewfinder like was present with 1Password 7.

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. Having played with it now, I see that it does work, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. I think I prefer having some obvious affordance and a feeling that I'm actually driving the process ... but I suppose I'll get used to it. It's certainly very clever.

• Thank you for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• reboot81
    reboot81
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue, scanning Cloudflares QR code.
    Suggestion: Help the user with troubleshooting, not only showing a simple error message.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@reboot81

Thank you for the report and the suggestion, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you haven't already, as a workaround for now, you can scan the QR code using 1Password in the browser instead: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

-Dave

• johnpeel244
    johnpeel244
    Community Member
    Options

I keep having this issue, too. In my case, I think it was because I use a browser extension called Dark Reader that puts everything in dark mode. Temporarily disabling the plugin worked.

• johnpeel244
    johnpeel244
    Community Member
    Options

Suggestion: allow us to drag the QR code image from the browser and drop it into 1password.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 25
    Options

@johnpeel244

Does the site provide a code? If so, you can copy the code and paste it into the field of 1Password. Some sites seem to be problematic when the code is very dense. I've had luck scanning with 1Password in the browser when this happens. You might give that a try.

That's an interesting suggestion. I can get that before the team for future consideration.

ref: PB-37977416