Duplicate 1Password.html files

Options
carlwh
carlwh
Community Member

Hi guys,

I just updated 1Password for iOS to the newest 4.2 release and I've now noticed there are two three 1Password.html files in Dropbox. (The newer one_s_ created today is are called "1Password (1).html" and "1Password (2).html".)

I see in the release notes that there were some changes made to 1PasswordAnywhere to add features, and I'm sure this has something to do with it. Will this correct itself or can I safely delete the older file_s_?

Thanks,
Carl

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Delete all copies of the HTML file then launch 1Password on your iOS device again to recreate it. That should clear it up.

Please let me know how it goes. :)

• Typan
    Typan
    Community Member
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hello! im getting these files in my Dropbox keychainfolder: 1Password (5).html 1Password (4).html 1Password (3).html how can I handle with them? where are they coming from? and can I delete these Files? or what can I do, to let 1Password delete these files?

Thanks!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Apparently, version 4.2 for iOS has introduced this problem. We're aware of this problem, and we're working on a fix. Thanks!

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't paid attention to the files in Dropbox for a long time (well... Because everything is working fine!)

But following this post, I became curious and looked again. Well... It's confusing:

At the root level, I have:

.ws.agile.1Password
    1Password    <--folder
       1Password.agilekeychain  <--folder
            data   <--folder
                default  <--folder
                     (2 files, created 1 week ago)
        1Password(1).html
        1Password(18).html
        1Password.html
        a   <--folder
        config   <--folder
        data  <--folder
           default  <--folder
              ...many .1password files

So probably I have several 'generations' mixed here. Should I remove/move anything? (Without breaking the system, of course).

Also, I've tried to open some of the .html files within Dropbox on iPad, and none opened the 1PasswordAnywhere correctly:

Problem loading 1Password data file
    A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
    Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

I think it did work before, but I have not trid it for long time.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Options

It looks like you have two different data files. One in the root of your Dropbox folder and one in the 1Password folder. This should not be the case. From what you wrote it appears that you can and should set aside the ~/Dropbox/1Password folder since it does not contain any of your data. Don't delete it! Just set it aside to make sure everything is working well before archiving it.

As for the original issue in this thread, you can do as I mentioned above and delete every instance of 1Password.html (including the original and all numbered copies. It is a static file that 1Password will recreate when you launch it again on your iOS device. So my initial recommendation above is still what I would recommend. :)

Also, I've tried to open some of the .html files within Dropbox on iPad, and none opened the 1PasswordAnywhere correctly. … I think it did work before, but I have not trid it for long time.

It has never been possible to access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox mobile app because it only loads the single file you are opening. It won't load all your data which 1Password.html needs in order to function. The Dropbox web interface has hooks on the backend to load it all at once, though, so you can just access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website as specified in the User Guide.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes!

• carlwh
    carlwh
    Community Member
    edited May 2013
    Options

Thanks, khad. Your suggestion seems to have worked. After removing all the instances of 1Password.html it was automatically recreated and another duplicate hasn't shown up yet.

It turns out that I also had two data files much like Locker posted above. I set aside the ~/Dropbox/1Password folder, leaving just the ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain container file. Things seem to be fine after doing that as well. Did 1Password change where it stores data in a version upgrade recently? Just wondering how two files might have been created.

On a side note, I think the answer to this is probably no, but is/will it possible to access 1PasswordAnywhere via iCloud?

Thanks again for your help!

Carl

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your suggestion seems to have worked.

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

Did 1Password change where it stores data in a version upgrade recently?

Not recently, but there are a lot of moving parts. It depends on which version of 1Password you used and on which platform. Both ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain and ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain are valid paths used as defaults by different versions of 1Password. If one is detected, though, nothing should be created in the other location. Please let me know if it comes back in the other location. It definitely shouldn't.

I should also point out to anyone else coming across this thread that I used the information Locker provided above to determine which was the active data file. It could just as easily be the reverse if you are seeing the same thing. Please be sure to contact us with details of your specific situation before moving, archiving, or, worse, deleting any data file you see. :)

On a side note, I think the answer to this is probably no, but is/will it possible to access 1PasswordAnywhere via iCloud?

I'm not sure how it would be possible to access 1PasswordAnywhere via iCloud, but If you have an idea we'd love to hear it. :D

Cheers!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Typan, I merged your post with this existing thread for this issue. The solution for now is to simply delete all the copies of the HTML files (including the original). Then launch 1Password 4 on your iOS device. The HTML file will be recreated, and you shouldn't see any more duplicates.

Please let me know how it goes.

• carlwh
    carlwh
    Community Member
    Options

@khad, I figured as much regarding 1PasswordAnywhere access via iCloud. I suppose the addition of that feature hinges on Apple allowing developers to create "web apps" that could run as part of the icloud.com interface—which would be awesome, but probably isn't anywhere near the top of their priority list.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, @carlwh, I don't see it happening any time soon. Dropbox will be the way to access 1PasswordAnywhere for the foreseeable future.

• hliamdavid
    hliamdavid
    Community Member
    edited May 2013
    Options

I've been wanting to use the 1password anywhere feature for a while now, but whenever I open the agilekeychain folder, there are several entries for 1password.html (1password (1).html, 1password (2).html etc.) None of them are up to date! What can I do?

EDIT: I seem to have solved the problem by simply deleting the files and restarting 1Password! :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I merged your post with this existing thread. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out, @hliamdavid. :)

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member
    edited May 2013
    Options

It looks like you have two different data files. One in the root of your Dropbox folder and one in the 1Password folder.

I renamed ~/Dropbox/1Password to ~/Dropbox/1Password_NOT. All seems to still work ok.

However, I am concerned why that container (directory) was just recently updated. There is one key file there, along with the file contents.js

1Password    <--folder
            data   <--folder
                default  <--folder
                    contents.js                <--updated May 6
                    abcd......1password  <--updated May 6

I did check the other container (folder) ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychair/..., and the same key file is there too.
    But what is still writing to the other location???

I use 1PW on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, using same Dropbox location.

FYI: I checked the preferences on the Mac, and indeed the keychain being used is the one on the root level.

Where can I see the location of the file in the settings on iOS?

... delete every instance of 1Password.html (including the original and all numbered copies...

I did delete them. All seems ok now.

... It has never been possible to access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox mobile app ...

Makes sense. Thanks.

• Daniel Sonnenfeld
    Daniel Sonnenfeld
    Community Member
    Options

This morning I'm saw this same issue of multiple and recent 1Password (X).html files (where X ranged from 1 to 3), along with the 1Password.html file being a month older. Following the above advice, I deleted all the files and the 1Password.html file, and relaunched 1Password on iOS. Everything seems to be working.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Where can I see the location of the file in the settings on iOS?

@Locker, you can see the path in the diagnostics (Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Email Diagnostics). You can just view the diagnostics without sending them. It's just an email message you can cancel and delete the draft.

This morning I'm saw this same issue of multiple and recent 1Password (X).html files (where X ranged from 1 to 3), along with the 1Password.html file being a month older. Following the above advice, I deleted all the files and the 1Password.html file, and relaunched 1Password on iOS. Everything seems to be working.

@Daniel, that's great! I'm glad that did the trick for you as well. Thanks for taking the time to post your success. :)

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member
    Options

Any comment about the updated key fle that was in the other, (almost) empty 1Password.agilechain? (See my prev response)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Locker, could you start a new thread for that separate issue? I feel like we're crowding this thread for what is a very simple issue (duplicate 1Password.html files) with a number of completely unrelated issues. I'd love to get it sorted out for you, though. :)

• stefanscheidt
    stefanscheidt
    Community Member
    Options

I also have the problem with 1Password (...).html files. Yesterday I killed all my 1Password Apps (iPhone, iPad, Mac) and deleted all 1Password*.html files in the 1Password.agilekeychain bundle. Then I continued working with the 1Password apps. Now I do have 1Password.html, 1Password (x).html with x = 1, ..., 16, 1Password (Stefan Scheidt's conflicted copy).html and 1Password (Stefan Scheidt's conflicted copy) (y).html with y = 1, ..., 10.

Any Ideas?

Stefan

• MikeT
    Options

Hi Stefan,

Did you also delete the original 1Password.html file? As long as the original html file is there, it'll keep creating duplicates. Try using Dropbox.com to trash all 1Password.html and 1Password (num).html you can find. Once you do that, open 1Password on the iOS device, let it finish the whole sync and it should be all set.

• Kieran Hogan
    Kieran Hogan
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, @carlwh, I don't see it happening any time soon. Dropbox will be the way to access 1PasswordAnywhere for the foreseeable future.

@khad, I'd love to be able to use 1PasswordAnywhere on my Windows PC at work but Dropbox is blocked as are USB thumb drives as well as webmail services. I tried emailing my keychain to my work email address but it bounced back.

Is there another way and if not, are there any plans to set up a 1PasswordAnywhere.com website for example (like Lastpass and Dashlane) where you could login and access your data?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@khad, I'd love to be able to use 1PasswordAnywhere on my Windows PC at work but Dropbox is blocked as are USB thumb drives as well as webmail services. I tried emailing my keychain to my work email address but it bounced back.

That sounds like a possible problem with your mail server. Did you compress it first into a ZIP file? My guess is that even compressed it may be too large for your mail server.

Is there another way…

Good question. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other way to transfer files to a computer except via physical media (i.e. USB port, etc., which is blocked) or the network (i.e. Dropbox, email, etc., which is also blocked). You could try burning it to a CD, but I have a funny feeling that won't be an option either if your company has locked down your machine as much as you've already described. :(

…and if not, are there any plans to set up a 1PasswordAnywhere.com website for example (like Lastpass and Dashlane) where you could login and access your data?

I don't have any information about such a feature, but I will pass your vote for this along to the developers. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but we do appreciate your feedback. It helps to hear of different use cases that don't match up with the current workflow so we can improve.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

• jorik
    jorik
    Community Member
    Options

If you have Dropbox and if you log into the Dropbox website, you can also open the 1Password.html from the Dropbox folder in your browser. I wasn't sure if Dropbox the application was blocked or Dropbox the website (or both).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is often both, but, you're right, @jorik. 1PasswordAnywhere is a great option for folks who cannot install the Dropbox application but still have access to the Dropbox website.

• SteveWetzel
    SteveWetzel
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding 1PasswordAnywhere and iCloud. Wouldn't it be possible to incorporate a "Save As" menu item to allow you to save your 1Password data file to a path (like a USB drive)? I would think that would be a pretty easy thing to implement.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SteveWetzel,

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're suggesting here. If you want a portable copy of your 1Password data, you can store it on a USB drive. But accessing your data via iCloud requires an app of some sort.

• SteveWetzel
    SteveWetzel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan, What I am suggesting is that if the 1Password application had the menu item "Save As" the user could then save the file to a USB and use it with 1PasswordAnywhere. I don't know why you guys did not do that.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @SteveWetzel,

1Password Anywhere used to be able to work with data on a USB drive. Now most browsers block local files, making this impossible. If you access the Developer Menu in Safari and 'Disable Local File Restrictions' you can still use 1Password Anywhere this way. I'm not sure about other browsers though.

• SteveWetzel
    SteveWetzel
    Community Member
    Options

Actually Megan, I cannot use 1Password Anywhere because I have no way to get my data file as I use iCloud sync. What I am proposing is that 1Password be the app (you said "but accessing your data via iCloud requires an app of some sort) that allows saving a copy of the data file to a location of my choice. Is my request unreasonable? Do you even understand what I have been proposing?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SteveWetzel,

If you want to access your data through 1Password, all you need to do is log in to your iCloud account on that computer and make sure that documents and data is enabled. Then 1Password should be able to find your data.

If you want a portable copy of your 1Password.agilekeychain file with your data, you can (temporarily) switch to Dropbox syncing. 1Password will save your data into a folder, which you can then copy onto your USB drive. I'll let our developers know that you are interested in a direct 'save as' option: we are currently working on an export feature. :)

I hope this helps, but if I'm still not understanding, please let me know.

• SteveWetzel
    SteveWetzel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, the Save As option would be the cleanest implementation I can think of. You already offer an export option but that export does not work with 1Password Anywhere are you currently working on allowing an export file to work with 1Password Anywhere?

This discussion has been closed.