Login Pop-up does not appear when clicking on the browser 1Password Extension

Alekzander
Alekzander
Community Member
edited April 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, i have a problem with the 1Password Browser Extension which does not open the desktop app login pop up anymore....

When i first start my PC i open up Edge, then click on the 1Password Browser Extension and the extension then opens up the desktop app which prompts me to enter the password.

For a couple of days now, when i click on the Browser Extension it just opens with a blue message saying Open 1Password and if you click it nothing happens. If you disable the Browser 1Password App integration from settings than you can enter the password in the extension but you won't benefit anymore from the integration of the browser extension and the desktop app..

If you go and open the Desktop App and enter the password then the Browser extension unlocks also and everything is fine, but not the other way around...

It was working just fine until now and used it just like this everyday from the moment i started using it and it's really annoying me...

Does anybody else encountered this, are the devs aware or what is actually happening?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro

Comments

• Hi @Alekzander .

When selecting the "Open 1Password" button, it will try to connect with the desktop app, and it will keep spinning if the desktop app is not opened in the background. And sometimes, 1Password in the browser might have trouble establishing communication with the desktop app even when it is opened and running.

As you mentioned:

If you go and open the Desktop App and enter the password then the Browser extension unlocks also and everything is fine, but not the other way around...

It seems like your 1Password desktop app is not running in the background when you encounter the issue. Moreover, 1Password in the browser seems to be unable to trigger to open the desktop to establish a connection.

Therefore, I'd suggest you have the 1Password desktop app open at the start and keep it running in the background to ensure the correct connection. Essentially, we want to open the 1Password desktop app before starting the browser to prevent the connection issue.

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Yeah well no, as you can see in the attached print screen, the 1Password Desktop App is opened in the background, it actually starts first with Windows. Besides the fact that i have already mentioned that this is happening for a couple of days now, it never happened before and i've been using 1Password for over a year now...

And there is nothing spinning, if you click the Browser Extension it will pop up with that blue Open 1Password Message and if you click it nothing happens..

Before this started happening when you clicked the Browser Extension, the Desktop App would pop up allowing you to enter the password and unlocking both the Browser Extension and the Desktop App itself...

So yeah, i tried everything, i have reinstalled the Browser Extension but without any luck, it still happens and i guess it's something from the Extension itself, maybe an update did this i really don't know but i want it fixed because it's really annoying...

• Hi @Alekzander:

Thanks for your additional screenshot. This is something we're investigating, and hope to have sorted out soon, but in the meantime, unlocking 1Password for Windows from the tray area, rather than from 1Password in the browser would be your best bet.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14092

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member

Hi and thanks for your answer. Good to know that you guys are aware of it... Also wanted to let you know that now when you click on the Browser Extension the 1password extension window opens with the same blue message "Open 1Password" but now when you click it, it opens the Desktop 1Password app automatically....

It still does not work as it used to and it does not open the Desktop app automatically when you click on the Browser extension and i know you said you are working on it but just wanted to let you know this, maybe it helps in some way...

Thanks again for your help.

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member

Working now, many thanks again....

• leicaman
    leicaman
    Community Member

I have the same problem, but when I click the Open 1Password button, I can momentarily see the dialog pop up but it immediately is hidden behind all my other windows. And even if I minimize them all, it becomes unusable unless I launch the App, and then it seems to work okay. I don't like having to leave it running, for security reasons. This really needs to be fixed. Thanks.

• Hi @leicaman:

Thanks for reporting this. To confirm, do you have 1Password minimized, or closed? We're investigating an issue where if 1Password is minimized and locked, then the Windows Hello dialog will be minimized as well. Let me know!

Jack

• leicaman
    leicaman
    Community Member

Sorry for taking so long to respond. It seems to be working better now. Thanks!

• You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear your state of play is better @leicaman. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.