Cannot open application, getting this error: "The application '1Password 7.app' can't be opened."

moerex
moerex
Community Member

After a reboot of my work laptop, I now cannot open the 1Password 7 application. I receive this error when I try to do so: "The application '1Password 7.app' can't be opened."

I did get a message earlier today that 1Password needed to install a new version to fix a bug, and I tried several times to do this, but the upgrade failed. So that could have something to do with this issue.

I also wonder if my company's recent install of Zscaler might be blocking my ability to use 1Password. I was having trouble opening the Chrome 1Password extension and then I exited out of Zscaler and was able to open it.

1Password Version: 7.x (can't open to verify)
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:The application '1Password 7.app' can't be opened error

Comments

• Hello @moerex! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble opening 1Password for Mac after an update. It sounds like something went wrong with the update and the steps below will get you up and running with the latest version of 1Password from our website (don't worry, your data is stored in a separate location and is safe):

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    5. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    6. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Let me know if you run into any issues. 😊

• meer
    meer
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

I got the same error. What happened in my case was, I updated to 1Password 7.9.4, but something about the update failed. There was no error message (that I saw), but 1Password's icon changed to a blank, and I couldn't launch it, the same as described above.

A fresh install did indeed fix the problem—but the problem is alarming all the same! It would be nice to know what's going on here, and whether others ran into the same problem, even though the fix is simple.

• @meer

I'm sorry to hear that you also ran into the same issue. If the error does happen again on your Mac then we'd love to take a closer look via a diagnostic report at what might be going wrong before you reinstall the app again:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• thewass
    thewass
    Community Member

Hey there folks-- just registered to say that I've been experiencing this same exact problem. I sent in a support email as well, but the tl;dr is that I can still use the menu bar 1Password, as well as open the full app from the menu bar version, but I get the same system message even after uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting my Mac, etc. It's been happening for a number of weeks and I've sort of worked around it, but I'd love to get a solution for this as well!

• @thewass

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same issue. You mentioned that you sent in a support email, can you tell me the Support ID number of your email conversation? You'll find it in the subject line of the email conversation and it will look like this: [#ABC-123-45678].

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• thewass
    thewass
    Community Member

@Dave_1P I actually pre-emptively followed your instructions and sent in a diagnostic report for myself as well, but haven't gotten a BitBot support ID number email yet. Actually, I haven't gotten an auto-reply from Support yet either.

• @thewass

Thank you for the reply. I've found your email and sent you a reply just now. I recommend that we continue the discussion there. 😊

ref: DWD-51652-876

This discussion has been closed.