How to get 1Password on iMac & on MacBook Pro to have same local stored passwords

romad
romad
Community Member

The first thing is the iMac is limited to High Sierra while the MBP has Monterrey. I use ONLY the STANDALONE version of 1Password 7.9.4 on both.

IIRC, I used to keep my iMac and my older MacBook Air (also with High Sierra) in "sync" by copying either the vault, the keychain, or both located at ~/Library/Application Support/1Password from the iMac to the MBA. Since I had to replace the MBA with an MBP I migrated the data. Unfortunately, I just discovered that I had not updated the file for awhile so now the two are "out of sync".

However when I went to ~/Library/Application Support on the MBP (with Monterrey), there isn't a 1Password folder even though 1Pwd works just fine on the MBP. Where do I find the 1Password.opvault location in macOS 15.4.1?

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6 and 15.4.1

Comments

• Hey @romad:

You can sync your standalone vaults via third-party syncing (i.e. iCloud, Dropbox).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alvin

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@Alvin: Duh! I should have thought that. However, I do have questions. Since the 1Pwd data on the iMac running High Sierra is newer than that on the MBP with Monterrey, will it overwrite the entire file or just the different entries on the MBP? Also, I have deleted some entries for no longer used logins from the iMac file but suspect they are still there in the MBP file. Will those old entries be copied back to the iMac file I put up in Dropbox? If the latter, I'll have to compare both data files and delete the ones from the MBP that I deleted from the iMac.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hey, @romad I was a standalone user for many years. I used Dropbox and even shared it with my wife who also had the standalone version. I was considering the Family membership for the longest time, but hating the thought of a subscription, I kept using the standalone. I finally bit the bullet and I've been thrilled. I assume you just want the personal, but you should check it out. I now run it on my MacBook (High Sierra), my work MacBook (Monterey), our iMac (with both my wife and my accounts), and of course our two kids use it on their macs and phones. I even use it on a work Windows 10 PC. All are instantly synced in the cloud. It's a wonderful thing. When I was using Dropbox, I was not allowed to at work, so I had to copy the vault and save it on a drive (for work). It was a pain. Anyway, sorry to hijack your post, but I thought I would pass along my experience. If you already have 1P you can get a 50% discount for 3 years on the new membership account.

This discussion has been closed.