Desktop integration with extension is now gone?

Options

I'm on a mac, so I use touch ID to access 1password all day long. Without exaggeration, I probably use 1password to authenticate into the dozens of systems I access easily 100x/day. I'm not sure what change prompted this, but the desktop integration that I've come to rely on in the browser is now broken. Instead of a nearly instant step of touch ID to access my passwords, I now get nothing when I click on 1password icon in the password field—no matter what I'm logging into. I click on the extension in the browser toolbar, and a menu pops up with a spinner that sometimes just goes on indefinitely. I've had to remove the extension and reinstall it just to get it to "work" again. Meanwhile, if I click on the desktop version in my menu bar, the first thing I see is a prompt to install the browser extension in Chrome, which already is installed and non-functioning. I tried installing the "classic" extension, but that seems completely bricked. If I'm doing something wrong and there's an easy way to restore the functionality I'm missing, that would be fantastic news.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this is an absolute productivity killer and a terrible user experience.

1Password Version: 7.9.4 (70904001)
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 11.6.5

Comments

• MaggieL
    MaggieL
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds similar to the new issue I'm having in Windows. In my case, the "1password icon in the password field" has a tiny padlock on it, as there's a closed padlock on the icon for the Firefox extension on the top horizontal toolbar.

I posted asking for help yesterday but no response yet.

• Hi @wscj:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have. If you're using 1Password in the browser, rather than the classic extension, then 1Password mini from your menu bar will not show the extension as installed.

It sounds like we might need to get some console logs from 1Password in your browser to see why it's spinning: Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

After saving your console log, attach it to an email addressed to support+x@1password.com, and include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/128942/desktop-integration-with-extension-is-now-gone#latest and your username: wscj, and I'll be able to take a closer look at what could be going on. Thanks!

Jack

• wscj
    wscj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I've followed the steps you outlined above. What's interesting is that my machine at home is at least offering up my Apple Watch as an authentication option, but I'm still missing the touch ID integration. The home machine is an M1 and my work machine is an intel macbook pro.

When I followed the steps to reproduce and log the issue, I did a restart of Chrome and sure enough, the menu from the extension in the toolbar showed a spinner and "Loading" message that just kept going. I clicked the icon to collapse the menu and then clicked again; this time the password field showed immediately.

Setting aside the timeout issues with the extension, the user flow from an accessibility and usability standpoint is such a massive step backward. If my focus is in a credentials input group, having a tooltip prompt that tells me to click on the toolbar extension to enable it is absurd. I used to be able to hit the down arrow key from the input field to prompt authentication to 1password if I wasn't already logged in. That authentication prompt would allow me to use my watch or touch ID with the occasional prompt to use my master password to re-establish these more convenient options.

I have to say that more often than not and up to this point, 1password has been a delight to use. This change in user flow makes enough of an impact on my workday that if I can't get it to work, I'll probably have to look at other options.

Best regards,
    Winston

• Hi @wscj:

We'll take a look at your console log and get back to you there!

Jack

ref: KLL-28359-266

• wscj
    wscj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack,

I noticed some other folks encountered the same issues I did and one of your colleagues (@kevin.li) gave a great walkthrough of all the things to try. https://1password.community/discussion/128954/lost-fingerprint-unlock-in-firefox-with-latest-update

The functionality I was looking for is back; I'm able to unlock with my watch and with touch ID. Thanks again for your help and responsiveness. It's great to have this forum as a resource to give feedback and find solutions.

Best,
    Winston

• Hi @wscj:

Awesome to hear! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else you need in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.