Empty Favorites + UI freeze

MrC
MrC
Volunteer Moderator
edited April 2022 in iOS

On my iPad, when I click on a password field in a particular app, click the Passwords icon above the screens keyboard, the 1Password autofill dialog unlocks, shows my family name, but it shows no items. If I click on the Search area, the list populates with my Favorites.

If I dismiss the dialog, not via Cancel, but by clicking outside the bounds of the dialog, the app is then locked up, and accepts no input. I have to resort to relaunching the app, sleep / wake the iPad, or swap it in/out as the foreground app.

This worked for 1Password 7.

1Password Version: 80700090
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 15.4.1

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2022

I realized when I posted this, it was going to be difficult for anyone to follow-up, or reproduce, given the lack of specificity. I was hoping somebody might have experienced something similar. But apparently not.

So, here's the issue. I launch the app (which I'm being intentionally vague about), click it's login Email field to bring up the keyboard, and select the 1Password button at the top of the keyboard. 1Password authenticates with FaceID, and it opens its Search dialog. But the list is entirely empty:

So, I click in the Search area, and a list of favorites populates:

Great, but the list sort order is entirely random, and it changes order each time this is done (having nothing to do with last access time):

But now, if I click anywhere outside the 1Password Search dialog, the dialog is dismissed, and I'm left with the app's screen and it is entirely frozen. No controls work on the app's screen now. I can use iPadOS to swipe the app away, wait, and then return and the screen is active again:

And I just found a new problem after the 2-week timeout of my master password having to be re-entered (or it could be that the app updated this morning). This doesn't seem good:

Hopefully this gains more traction.

• Hi MrC, thanks for reporting this.

The initial empty list is intentional if there are not items in your vault that match the URL provided by the application. When searching, all items are shown and the list of items is reduced as you enter your search terms.

The random ordering of the list is a known issue.

When tapping outside the AutoFill window, it should dismiss and return to your App. Can you test this on some other apps? For example in Safari? The iOS system is in charge of presenting and dismissing this window, so I'm afraid this bug is beyond our control. But it's also the first time I've heard of it. So, I'm curious if you are seeing this in other applications.

In your last screenshot, is that how the AutoFill window first appeared? It looks like the lock screen layout is totally messed up.

• Update:

I've been able to reproduce the issue with hanging when dismissed. I'll have a fix out soon.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

The initial empty list is intentional if there are not items in your vault that match the URL provided by the application.

Is this a change from v7, which immediately shows all Logins (with Favorites sorted at the top of the list)? The empty list just feels wrong, like something is broken. In this case, it isn't clear that any but the most technical users can learn of the required URL, so hiding all the logins makes it impossible to auto fill from existing items (which is what I've been doing). I thought I knew which URL to add just now, but that doesn't seem to be correct. And I just tried to create a new Login from the dialog, in hopes that it would provide me with the URL, but it doesn't. So how will typical users figure this out?

The random ordering of the list is a known issue.

Great, thanks.

I've been able to reproduce the issue with hanging when dismissed. I'll have a fix out soon.

Whew, glad you reproduced it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

In your last screenshot, is that how the AutoFill window first appeared? It looks like the lock screen layout is totally messed up.

Yes, correct. Today is the first time I've seen that sort of misalignment. And I had no idea what was being asked in the dialog, since most of it was cut off.

Later, I opened 1Password proper, entering my M.P. as required by the 2-week timeout. So Face ID should have worked when I tried to autofill again. But this time I got a less badly-behaved (yet still needs to Go sit in a corner and think about what it did wrong!):

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Quoting myself...

And I just tried to create a new Login from the dialog, in hopes that it would provide me with the URL, but it doesn't.

It would be nice, for app logins, if the required URI (protocol + app bundle or whatever it is called on iOS) was placed into the New Login website (sic) field automatically, or asked if it should be included in an existing login.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2022

Sorry, don't mean to be spamming myself (or anyone else).

Consider the second screenshot above, and the UI.

Not presenting a list immediately means that what used to be just a single tap away, is now more work. The entire reason I Favorite'd this particular Login was to avoid the scrolling of the Login list - this is now required.

50% of the screen is covered by the keyboard. So is 50% of the auto-fill dialog. Really bad is that 83% (5 / 6) of the Login entries available in the initial list are hidden.

Getting to the entry now requires tapping into the Search box, carefully scrolling a list (avoiding hitting a key) that shows only 5 items at a time (or dismissing the keyboard -- that just opened -- to see 9), and then tapping the actual Login. What was 1 tap is now 2 taps and a drag (pun intended).

• I'm reconnecting with design to have a look at this UX. The goal here was to limit the number of taps required to search all items, while at the same time preventing people from accidentally filling a login into an app or website that does not match the credential. It is a change from v7, where we observed people selecting a non-matching url and trying to use it. We want to phishing attacks, etc... The intention is that the initial list should have the item you need almost all of the time, with favorites items sorted at the top.

If you search for a login that is not in the initial list, and use it, you are given the option to update the login with the app URL so that next time it will appear in the initial list.

The app should provide a URL to the 1Password AutoFill extension when it opens. This URL is used to filter the item list. It is also automatically populated into new items, and used update a non-matching items. In the case of your app, it does not look like any URL is being provided -- I'm not sure how that can be. I'll look into that. Maybe it's in a strange format.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@chadseld

Resolved in the latest TestFlight. Thank you!

[no reply necessary]

This discussion has been closed.