Feature Req: Make Linking Related Items 2-Way (AKA Online Footprint Modeling)

Options
TomEldest
TomEldest
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Lounge

Right now linked items only display in one direction (under the item where the link was originally defined). Under the hood I am sure this is already implemented as an N:N database relationship, that just needs to be surfaced to the users for a better UX. The average user is not going to care about relationship directionality. If things are "linked" to each other, why should it matter which side they access that relationship from? Technologically-speaking, I understand that there may be a distinction. But users don't care about implementation details.

IMO there are huge security benefits to this. For example: If I am notified of a breach to a shopping account, and I have done proper linking of cards to detail which cards I have added to that account, I could simply go straight to the account item and quickly see a list of all cards I'd need to monitor transactions/notify the bank for. This allows me to more quickly mitigate the damage in the event of a breach. In the age of bots, every second counts during security triage.

Currently you have to maintain that link from both ends to get this quick response option, which really doesn't make sense as it relies on user consistency (a real risk in security, despite all our best efforts). Again this is a complete guess, but I imagine the underlying database is already set up to support this, it's just a matter of representation in the application(s).

I see the primary benefit of this as the "ease of triage", and I am sure there are many other examples where being able to quickly navigate a well-linked record set could benefit users. Today I don't feel that I can really "map" or "model" my online footprint in this app (which cards I have in which accounts, which phone numbers I used for which accounts, which Identities I have used for which accounts, etc) - being able to do so would put 1Password years ahead of competitors, at least in the eyes of power users.

Today you can approximate this by simply adding tons of key-value pairs to your individual items to represent cards, phone numbers, etc. But again, that requires massive maintenance overhead. 2-way links (and maybe some additional, more fundamental item types like "Phone Number", "Address" that allow you to build up to other item types like Identities, rather than duplicating key-value pairs in many places where distinct items have overlapping fields. Just making the ontology more granular/general-purpose) would massively reduce this overhead and would make this product unlike anything on the market today.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:link related items

Comments

• Hi @TomEldest:

I can definitely see how it would be helpful to make links in both directions in one step, so I've shared your thoughts on a feature request we have internally on this. While I can't promise anything, we use feedback like yours to help inform the future of 1Password!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-425

This discussion has been closed.