1Password 7.6 and missing or broken Extension

golucid
golucid
Community Member

Hi. I am using 1Password 7.6 and my Safari 10.1.2 extension stopped working after I reinstalled MacOS 10.12.6. I visited your website to located a legacy extension and it is not available for MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Note. I am staying with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 as well as 1Password 7.6. Upgrading disables my already paid for perpetual software and therefor renders the software inoperable and forces me into a subscription mode. I will not upgrade even if suggested.

Where may I obtain the extension that worked with the version of 1Password 7.6 that I paid for please? If you could point me to where the extension is usually located, I can pull it from my other desktop and laptop units and transfer the file to my MacPro and get 1Password 7.6 file extension working again.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Unknown
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension 1password 7.6

Comments

• Hello @golucid! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the 1Password extension for Safari on your Mac. 1Password version 7.6 hasn't been updated for almost two years and is missing quite a few bug fixes so I recommend that you update to the latest version. It's possible that the issue that you're facing was fixed in the two years since version 7.6 was released. The same goes for macOS, version 10.12.6 hasn't been updated by Apple since 2019 and it doesn't include security patches for quite a few critical security issues that are now in the wild. Just connecting your Mac to the internet may leave you exposed.

1Password 7 officially requires macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later so updating is well worth it to avoid issues. πŸ™‚

Upgrading disables my already paid for perpetual software and therefor renders the software inoperable and forces me into a subscription mode.

If you already have a license for 1Password 7 for Mac then you're entitled to all updates for 1Password 7 and you don't need a subscription. Can you clarify why you think you need a subscription for a later version of 1Password 7?

Regarding the Safari issue specifically: which version of Safari are you using? And what do you see when you try the following steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click on Safari next to the ο£Ώ in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Preferences.
    4. Click on Extensions.

Do you see an entry for 1Password? If you do then please check it to enable the 1Password extension. And if you don't see 1Password then please restart your Mac and then try the steps again. I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

Hi. As I mentioned, I can not update and I will not. Doing so, forces me into a subscription model and I already paid for all my current software well into the many thousands - such as Adobe Master Suite. Nope, not updating. As for Safari: version 10.1.2

As I also mentioned, all systems I have mirror each other. The only unit not working correctly is my MacPro with the above stated versions of all software.

Navigating to Safari > Preferences > Extensions shows 1Password 7.6

Thanks.

David

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Doing so, forces me into a subscription model and I already paid for all my current software

Subscription model for what software? Not for 1PW, and not for most software, though of course there may be some that requires a change.

As @Dave_1P has pointed out, Sierra is old enough that it is unsafe to use it on a machine connected to the internet.

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

@danco you asked, "Subscription model for what software?". I did mention in my comment above, for example, Adobe Master Suite.

I recognize the risks and these machines are on a tight secure network and more often than not, not connected to the outside world.

Still waiting waiting for @Dave_1P response and solution.

Thanks,

David

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2022

@golucid

Thank you for the reply. 1Password 7.6 hasn't been updated since 2020, we're no longer supporting that version, and we don't recommend that you use it. I recommend that you update to the latest version of 1Password 7 for Mac which would be version 7.9.4. I can certainly empathize with you not wanting to update macOS because of incompatibilities with other apps on your Mac but I still strongly recommend updating macOS for the security reasons mentioned above.

The official system requirement for 1Password 7 is macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later: System requirements for 1Password. While some users have reported that they've been able to use 1Password 7 on macOS 10.12.6 they also report intermittent issues and an inconsistent experience. I personally haven't used macOS 10.12.6 in many years so I'm not aware of what issues you may run into when using 1Password on that operating system, especially if you're also using an older unsupported version of 1Password 7 for Mac from two years ago. If the steps in my previous post don't allow you to enable the 1Password Safari App Extension then I recommend updating.

Updating 1Password 7 itself won't cause you to lose the ability to use 1Password with your license and without a subscription. 1Password for Mac version 7.9.4 works just fine with a standalone license.

I know that this isn't the answer that you were hoping for but, as a security company, we cannot in good conscience recommend or support the use of outdated versions of macOS or 1Password. Our priority is to keep you safe, and running the latest versions of macOS and 1Password goes a long way to making sure that your Mac, and your 1Password data, remain secure and protected. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• golucid
    golucid
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Thanks for the update. If I update 1Password to the version you suggest, will I be able to use WLAN?

David

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022

@golucid

Thank you for the reply. The latest version of 1Password 7 for Mac (which is version 7.9.4 at the time of writing) does indeed support WLAN sync and there are no plans to remove WLAN sync from 1Password 7.

1Password 8, which will be a completely separate download and not an automatic update to 1Password 7, will only support 1Password memberships and won't support WLAN sync.

I hope that helps. πŸ™‚

edit: I did want to emphasize that, in addition to updating 1Password itself, I also recommend updating to at least macOS 10.13 or higher as stated in our system requirements article. I've spoken to one of our developers and the 1Password Safari App Extension that is built-in to the 1Password 7 app will only work with Safari 12 or higher.

This discussion has been closed.