Link "Related App" to 1Password entry (+ another case for supporting file handler links again)

Options

I noticed in the change log for February 15th's beta, there was a feature I wasn't familiar with shown in the accompanying screenshot: the ability to link another Application (in that case, Twitter) on your device to a password entry. I assume this might allow auto-fill within that app as opposed to being restricted only to browser windows.

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how this is done, but none of my guesses worked (I tried: Dragging an .app bundle into various places within a login item, "attaching" the app as a file, added the app's website to the entry, added the app's custom URI:// as a URL field, added the app's com.company.product bundle identifier to various places, added the filesystem path for the app, and tried all these things on an "App License" entry type as well).

As I didn't see the feature mentioned anywhere within the actual change log patch notes, I eventually came to the conclusion that it may simply be an unannounced feature that isn't yet enabled within the available builds, but since it's been a couple of months without seeing it, I figured I should probably just ask here about it in case it's an existing feature and I'm just blind.

If that is correct, and it is in fact a feature that is being worked on right now, I have one other potential use of linking an App to a password entry which I'd like to mention:

In another thread discussing how 1Password 8 has dropped support for the amazing ability to launch other apps using URI schemes due to security concerns, a few potential solutions to allow this feature to return were proposed, such as

• Asking for confirmation before opening the custom link
  • Making it an advanced setting in preferences or 1PW's pref plist that defaults to Off
  • Restricting file handlers to a specific list set ahead of time

I'm very hopeful for one of the above to be sufficient to get this back, and upon reading that thread with this "Linked Apps" question in mind, it made me think that another way to add an additional barrier to help prevent unintentionally launching external programs, would be requiring the user to link the app to be launched to the password entry ahead of time in order to make any corresponding app-launching links work.

This would be a variation on the "Restricting file handlers to a specific list set ahead of time" solution mentioned above, in that rather than specifying within preferences all handlers that would be treated as links, you could restrict what would be considered "Approved" even further by needing to set it per 1PW entry.

The last piece to this suggestion would be that if a 1PW entry containing file handler links + linked apps were put in a shared vault, then this "Linked Apps" data would be maintained when another user views the entry, however next to each linked app would be an "Approve App Link" so that each user would need to explicitly grant permission within the entry before the links would be "live".

1Password Version: 8.7.0.80700090
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Hi @imaldonado:

Great question! The Linked App you're seeing is generated from filling the item on Android, using 1Password for Android.

I'll share your idea on how to allow URI handling using the idea of linking the app as well!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-761

This discussion has been closed.