Need keyboard shortcut to save/submit field when editing item

Hi there,

I find it a bit frustrating when I am editing a field like the title of a login, that I cant save the field using a keyboard shortcut

For Windows the shortcut should be Ctrl + Enter to save/submit a form

1Password Version: 8.7.0-95
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Hi @sguergachi, thanks for this suggestion.

Could you tell me more about why you feel this would be valuable? Currently, the default behavior is for 1Password to preserve whatever you've entered into a given field when you move to a different one.

For example, if you create a new item, and type "Test Item" in the title field, that will remain there while you type in a username and password, and then it all gets saved when you press the Save button. It works similarly if you fill out a given field, and then use the Tab key to progress throughout the various subsequent fields for the same item.

If some aspect of the current approach doesn't work for you, I'd love to learn more about it. What do you think "save using ctrl + Enter" could improve about the experience? I'll look forward to hearing from you! 😃

• sguergachi
    sguergachi
    Community Member

Well it really comes down to convention and how Windows users expect applications to work based around those conventions.

When I see a text field like this that I want to edit, I will switch to the keyboard with both hands and type away. When I am trying to make a few edits in 1Password like I was recently to make a few edits to a number of items, what I instinctively want to do is to minimize the switching between keyboard mode and mouse mode, switching from both hands on the keyboard to a mouse on these kinds of tasks kills flow and feels frustrating.

In many or most scenarios where speed and efficiency isnt important, clicking on the "Save" button is intuitive and works fine. But for the rest of the time, Windows users will quickly type out what they want in the field then hit "Ctrl + Enter" to save/submit the form in a satisfying way. I understand that you can hit "Ctrl + S" or as you mentioned you can Instead there is the sad realization that this application isnt mapped to how my brain works, and expects me to work in a non-native way - which as you can imagine is frustrating.

"Ctrl + Enter" should save/submit the form for the same reason "Esc" key cancels out of the edit mode, these conventions map perfectly and feel satisfying when we execute them and the application does what you expect it to do.

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Hi @sguergachi, thanks for the follow-up here.

I can certainly understand the appeal of a native experience, and the desire for efficiency (I do love some hotkeys and a good keyboard-only workflow for certain things).

But I'm having trouble understanding how the "Ctrl + S to save a field" workflow would help with that goal. Currently, since 1Password auto-saves each field as you leave it, it's possible to tab-and-type one's way through the entire creation of an item, and then only need to press Ctrl +S once - for the final save. If anything, this strikes me as more efficient, since in effect 1Password is doing a sort of automatic Ctrl + S for each field as you go.

Here's an animation of what this looks like when I try it with a test item (this is using the keyboard only, tabbing through, and then pressing Ctrl + S at the end):

However, if I'm missing something feel free to let me know - we'd like the experience of using 1Password to feel as intuitive and natural as possible. 👍

• sguergachi
    sguergachi
    Community Member

Hi Peter,

sorry for the long delay in response, thanks for your thoughtful response.

This issue I face almost every time I go to edit an item, creating an item it doesnt feel frustrating either because 1password makes it so easy to click through with pre-filling fields, or it does a great job at auto filling them in the extension when I login for the first time.

Now I totally see the workflow working as you explained, and using Ctrl + S is okay but as I mentioned its irritating, every time I go to edit a field, because I get reminded that "oh right, 1password isnt a native app, I have to hit Ctrl + S - only when using 1password" it means my brain has to work extra hard to remember 1Password is this super special app that has a super special keyboard shortcut.

I dont see 1Password like I see a Word document, where Ctrl + S is intuitive because I'm "Saving" a long form, free form document, with a version history etc, that I want to persist on disk. I see 1Password like I see a web form, or a modal dialogue on windows - with separate fields that I edit and want to *exit out of. Ctrl + Enter feels like a finalization shortcut, while Ctrl + S feels like a transient shortcut. Its actually weird to hit Ctrl + S and see the window close, in a word doc Ctrl + S doesnt close the doc im writing.

So in summary my experience editing goes like this:

• Months goes by, one day I have to edit a 1password login field (like the title, or a password)
    • I click edit to open, I click the first field I want to edit, then I quickly type out the edit
    • Then, with a degree of excitement, I hit Ctrl + Enter, thinking (feeling/hoping) like I am being efficient by using the keyboard, instead of moving my cursor to the "Save" button.
    • Then, I get upset, and remember 1Password is different and I have to hit Ctrl + S.... then I go to the Feeback & Support menu to rant here :P

Hopefully that gives you an idea of the psychology/experience and why not having Ctrl + Enter as the shortcut kills the editing experience on 1password for me :)

This discussion has been closed.