Can't login to 1password.com

Options
lohphat
lohphat
Community Member
edited April 2022 in Lounge

UPDATE: Oh look there's an outage: https://1password.statuspage.io/

I've tried on different devices and networks and the request times out. There seems to be an outage.

Remember Blackberry RIM and they newsworthy outages? When their servers were down the house of cards collapsed for MILLIONS of users.

This is the downside of "cloud services" -- we're at the short end of the stick when the services is unavailable. 1password is a CRITICAL service -- being down is never acceptable.

And using AWS (Amazon Web Services) is even worse as they have a history of long outages with NO RECOURSE for customers.

This is why 1password needs to deploy a multi-cloud provider network to handle this scenario instead of putting all their eggs in one [cloud] basket.

1Password Version: 8.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win 11 pro

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lohphat

That page you linked is indeed the best spot to follow for updates. Thanks for calling that out! One bit I'll highlight in response to the balance of your post:

The 1Password desktop and mobile apps cache your data locally. If you are using our apps your data will continue to be available to you in the event we (or you) are offline. Sync between devices will resume when the service is available again.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member
    Options
    1. That status page was NOT easy to find on your website. I had to google "1password status" to find it.
    2. Lack of cross-vendor cloud failover is a serious vulnerability. There should be automatic load-balance/outage failover to another instance NOT in the same building or region. This is just SOP for cloud services.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2022
    Options
    1. Thank you for raising that point. I think we can do better about highlighting the status page and have suggested several areas to the team where we might put it.
    2. Today's outage was a result of certain queries performing unexpectedly after a recent database upgrade, and not an issue with AWS. I don't know that at least some of what you're suggesting isn't already in place, or that anything along those lines would have helped in this case. I have passed the feedback along to the appropriate teams for further review. We will certainly be doing further investigating into the performance regression, and I hope to have more to say on that point in the coming days.

Ben

• DJ001
    DJ001
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to determine in the client that it isn't communicating with the server?

I got caught up in this as well and (as a new user) it confused me. An indication of lack of sync capability would have made me aware that something unusual is occurring and I would have waited to performed my password changes until the issue was resolved.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2022
    Options

@DJ001

There isn't an in-app indicator. That is something we've bounced around, and I've strongly advocated for. I'll bring the conversation back up and see if we can get some movement on it.

Thanks for bringing up the question. My apologies for the confusion caused by the outage.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9115

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

We've shared some additional details about this situation here:

An update on our recent service disruption

Ben

This discussion has been closed.