V2 rate limited for the same command used in V1

itsthecode
itsthecode
Community Member

I just downloaded V2 to do testing with some already established automation that we have.

With V1 we were using the following command without any rate limiting and were able to successfully pull all the records we needed:

op.exe list items --categories 'CATEGORY' --session {sess_token} | op.exe get item - --session {sess_token}

I tried to get this command to work with V2 syntax:

op2.exe item list --categories 'CATEGORY' --session {sess_token} --format json | op2.exe item get - --session {sess_token}

I received a rate limit response with the V2 version. Is there anything I can do to preserve the functionality of the previous command without being rate-limited? I can't specify vault uuids because we need the record from all vaults.

Error: [ERROR] 2022/04/27 12:25:36 unable to process element 107: Network: (429) (Too Many Requests), Too many requests. Your client has been rate-limited.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @itsthecode

I believe we added 1 extra API call to improve the UX (print the vault's name) in the command. This may be the reason that the command is now hitting the rate limits (with a large enough number of vaults and items, it may be what makes the difference).

Generally in these situations, I would suggest using the --cache flag, but unfortunately the --cache flag is not supported on Windows systems.

We are currently investigating op optimizations, and part of that is reducing the number of API calls. For the time being, I regretfully can only suggest a more tedious set of commands:

op item list --categories 'CATEGORY' --vault 'VAULT OF INTEREST' | op item get - --vault 'VAULT OF INTEREST'

Specifying vault in such a way would greatly reduce the number of API calls. Specifying the vault by ID over name would further reduce the payload sizes for further optimization.

• itsthecode
    itsthecode
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Thanks for the clarification @Justin.Yoon_1P . I'll need to rework my automation to account for this change. Do you have a timeline for deprecation of the V1 cli application. I just want to make sure my automation will work until I finish the V2 modifications. Thanks!

• itsthecode
    itsthecode
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

(deleted)

• Do you have a timeline for deprecation of the V1 cli application?

That's a great question. Having just shipped our new and improved 2.0 release, we are looking to set a date for the deprecation of CLI 1. It's important for us to turn our attention to the new foundation that we've built to continue to invent new and exciting features for CLI that will help make the lives of both 1Password Administrators and developers more productive and secure. We'll have more to share on this soon with clear next steps for users. We know just how vital CLI is to your workflows and will ensure users have plenty of time to react to any changes.

This discussion has been closed.