New Computer - How to install existing 1Password account

dolphin826reality
dolphin826reality
Community Member

I have a family plan that my wife and I share. She just got a new Windows 10 computer (Chrome browser) to replace her dyeing one. What are the steps to migrate/install her 1Password data on her new computer. I have her Secret Key and her Password. I hope she doesn't have to change her password.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Hello @dolphin826reality, thank you for this question. I'm happy to assist!

First, sorry to learn about your wife's computer - but we can certainly assist with the migration process of her 1Password data. The good news is that this is much easier than it used to be, thanks to the 1Password.com service. I'll explain. 👇

Since your family account's encrypted data is synced by our servers, you don't have to manually migrate the data from one device to another, the way that you might have to copy over a bunch of locally-stored documents, for example. And there shouldn't be any need to change the password, either.

To get your wife's data on her new computer, you'll need the password and Secret Key (which I understand you already have). From there, you'll need to:

1. Install 1Password on the new device.
    2. Sign in using the details from her Emergency Kit.

Once you have signed in, our servers deposit a synced copy of the relevant user's data onto that device (we call this the "local database"). And with that, you'll have a fully synced and up-to-date 1Password account working on that device! 🙌

I hope this provides some insight into how the process works. If you have questions or there's any aspect of this we can help with, do let us know. We'll be here for you.

• dolphin826reality
    dolphin826reality
    Community Member

Thank you PeterG -- worked like a charm!

• Excellent news, @dolphin826reality - and thank you for letting me know that everything is working well!

As always, we're here for anything further you might need. Congrats again from the 1Password team! 😊

This discussion has been closed.