Possible to add to web details section of an existing Login item?

Kitforbes
Kitforbes
Community Member

Is it possible to add additional fields to a Login item which uses the hidden web details after it has been created? If I use my 1Password item as an example (sensitive details removed) you can see that the account-key has been added to the "Auto-saved web details" section which 1Password uses to fill login screens with more complex login pages (more than a username and password).

{
    "id": "",
    "type": "STRING",
    "label": "account-key",
    "value": "AAA",
    "reference": "op://Test/1Password Account/account-key"
}

There's no section here or anything I can see to tell us that this field belongs to the "Auto-saved web details" section.

Is there a way to add to these fields without creating a new Login with the browser extension?

$ op --version

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hey @Kitforbes, thank you for reaching out to us!

Just to make sure I understand the issue correctly: currently, the account-key field, which in other clients appears to be under the "Auto-saved web details" section, seems to not have a section, when outputted in the CLI. What you'd like to achieve is to add this field (or a similar one, in another item) to this section via the CLI, without making use of other clients.

Is this correct? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
    Horia

• Kitforbes
    Kitforbes
    Community Member

Hi Horia, thanks for replying.

As far as I know, there is no way to add new fields to this section in any of the 1Password clients. It is possible to edit the contents of an existing field or remove the field within this section, but that's all. As such, this may not be achieveable with the CLI either, but I wanted to confirm that this was the case.

Hopefully that makes sense.

• Thank you for providing more details, @Kitforbes.

To be honest, this is something new that I'm hearing of: uneditable sections.
    I wonder if this may be a limitation of the client that you are currently on? Can you please let us know what 1Password application do you use?
    Reason for my skepticism is that I can manually create a Login type item, with a field called Secret Key (this is how the previously called "Account key" is referred to now), and the 1Password Browser Extension will use that field to autofill, on the 1Password start page. It doesn't have to be included in any custom made section, just existent within the item.

I'll reach out to some of my colleagues to see what may be happening here. In the meantime, please do include any details that you consider relevant to this issue (I see you only filled in the OS in the footer of your original post).

Looking forward to getting this sorted out! :D

Best,
    Horia

• Kitforbes
    Kitforbes
    Community Member

In putting some screenshots together I'm thinking that this may be due to a change in the object schema or just how 1Password handles this behind the scenes.

I went to https://my.1password.eu/ and created a new Login with fake details from the browser extension. In the screenshot you'll see two existing entires that don't matter at the moment.

Opening this new Login item within 1Password for Windows 8.7.0 (80700098) I can see that the additional field (Secret Key) is within a section called Saved on my.1password.eu. This is a different naming pattern that 1Password is using from some of my older logins (illustrated later). I can see that with this section I do have the ability to add additional fields, which is great!

If I open up an existing 1Password Login I have (which I was looking at for my previous posts) I can see the section is called AUTO-SAVED WEB DETAILS and the "+ add another field" button is not available.

From this I assume that I could manually update any Logins I have which use the old convention so that I'd be able to make changes to the fields in the future.

Hopefully that makes more sense, and sorry for not being more clear initially.

• Indeed, the solution here seems to be manually updating the Login items following the old convention.

Also, since, in the CLI, in the json response, the field does not appear to be under any section, I do not see any reason why running

op item edit ITEM field-name=new-field-value

should not work in changing the field. (be sure to back up all the credentials, before experimenting with this on an item). My hunch is that the restriction towards editing that section is instated client-side, and the CLI does not use any such restrictions.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember, by any means, what client (I assume a 1Password Browser Extension?) and what version of that client you initially generated your item with?

Please, do let us know if we can help you further with this "migration". We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
    Horia

• Kitforbes
    Kitforbes
    Community Member

I can see that the Login was created on 24/09/2020. Unfortunately, that creation date is misleading as I had my account migrated from my.1password.com to my.1password.eu on that day. Sadly I have no idea when I would have created that login initially, but it would have been through the Chrome or Firefox extensions.

I'll follow up later once I get some time to update these logins. Thanks for the help so far.

• Glad we could help! Don't hesitate to reach out, if you find yourself in need of any assistance.

Best,
    Horia

This discussion has been closed.