Latest 1Password 8 for Mac builds require menu bar icon to stay running

Options
michaelyork
michaelyork
Community Member

Hi there – congrats on release day!

It seems that sometime in the last couple weeks of updates, 1Password 8 for Mac stops running when closed (for example, with Cmd+Q) and needs to be manually relaunched to function in Safari. I accidentally realized today that if I enable the option to leave 1Password in the menu bar, this behavior does not occur (hitting Cmd+Q doesn't actually kill the 1Password process) and things work as intended.

How can I help get this resolved?

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (80700098)
Extension Version: Safari 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Bumping this :)

• Hi @michaelyork:

As it currently stands, leaving 1Password in the menu bar is required to keep it running when the main window is closed. With that said, this is something we're investigating, and I'll share your thoughts with the team. Thanks for reaching out, and thank you for the congratulations, we're just as excited as you are! 🥳

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9943

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P – but just to confirm, this is behavior that changed in the last few builds, correct? Because I've been running 1P8 for many months and never had this issue.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

1Password 8 for Mac stops running when closed (for example, with Cmd+Q)

That makes sense, right? Cmd+Q is Quit.

But it also stops running with Cmd+W, which should just be Close. That is really strange.

• SirAtilla
    SirAtilla
    Community Member
    Options

As someone who just made jump from 7 to 8 GA this is very annoying as constantly have to unlock as I don't prefer the icon being in the menubar.

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member
    Options

Please note the groundswell of people complaining about this. It really is deeply annoying to those of us who like background tasks to retreat into the real, real background. I don't expect Word or Pages or Mail to retreat into the background. But I do expect bluetooth, Alfred, 1Password, and other essential utilities that are just part of what makes everything work to be able to disappear.

To those looking for a temporary workaround, my suggestion is to set "Keep 1Password in Menu Bar" on and then use a menu bar utility like Bartender to hide the menu bar item. I have 1Password set to start on login, and so I see it once, log into it, and then quit. This removes it from the Dock but keeps me from having to enter the 1Password master password anywhere at all (unless 2 weeks is up which is very reasonable). The "Keep 1Password in Menu Bar" is roughly the equivalent of the old Keep 1Password Mini running in background. All this works well for me; I just wish I didn't need to use Bartender to hide the menu bar item. I hate seeing that all the time since a keystroke will bring up the Quick Access panel at any time.

• Hi @tortugonal, thank you for this. We'll keep listening and incorporating the feedback. Thank you for letting us know how you'd like and expect this aspect of 1Password to work.

ref: dev/core/core#9557
    ref: dev/core/core#9943

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Peter, any word on taking this up? The existing copy in 1P8 doesn't even make it clear to users what the option does (disable Quick Access if deselected), let alone provide the flexibility to keep 1P8 running in the background without taking up space in the menu bar.

• Hi @michaelyork:

We tend to keep things pretty close to the vest, so we don't have anything to share just yet about this. Thanks for your feedback!

Jack

• levymetal
    levymetal
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Would like an option to keep 1Password running without the menubar icon.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@levymetal

I've added your vote to the tracking item as well. 😊

• bun
    bun
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for an option to keep 1Password running in the bg without a menu bar icon.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for no menu bar clutter please!!

Waiting for a few updates to 1P8 before jumping on board… hopefully via the Mac App Store as well. 😬

• Hi @bun / @ahankins:

Thanks for your feedback on this! I've added you both to the tracking discussion we have for this.

Jack

• brsu
    brsu
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• brsu
    brsu
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Dave_1P