Scrolling through items with a scroll wheel

sami145
sami145
Community Member

I just install 1PW 8 and found this small but annoying bug. After opening the app and unlocking, trying to scroll through the items with a scroll wheel doesn't work. It just doesn't scroll. Scrolling with a trackpad works, but not the mouse wheel.

The workaround here seems to be to grab the little gray scroll indicator on the right-hand side of the list with the pointer and scrolling the list a bit like that (i.e. dragging up/down with the mouse pointer). After that, scrolling with a wheel works.

I'm using the Logitech MX Master 3.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @sami145:

Great to hear you're giving 1Password 8 a try! Are you currently using the RF dongle with your MX Master 3, or Bluetooth? It would seem that whatever Logitech is doing to make scrolling work via Bluetooth is incompatible with Secure Input. We use Secure Input to help protect your data when being typed into 1Password, and as such removing it would be a non-starter.

If you use the RF dongle, rather than connect via Bluetooth, does that improve your state of play? Let me know!

Jack

• sami145
    sami145
    Community Member

It's connected via Bluetooth. I seem to have lost the receiver dongle so I can't test it out. If I manage to find it I'll post an update.

• Hey @sami145:

Thanks for following up. As an additional suggestion, if you click in the 1Password item list, rather than clicking the scroll bar, does that also improve your state of play?

Jack

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

We use Secure Input to help protect your data when being typed into 1Password, and as such removing it would be a non-starter.

Is this an official statement? Past comments from 1Password were more open-ended.

1Password's Quick Access doesn't enable Secure Input. Why does the main 1Password 8 search field do so?

Normal macOS behavior is to enable Secure Input in obscured password input fields. It makes no sense to enable it in a standard search field, especially when the typed text is visible!

I'm still hoping that this is disabled or at least made optional.

• sami145
    sami145
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P That seems to work too. In fact, interacting with the main window in any way (selecting an item, clicking on empty space, tabbing out of the search field, clicking a button, etc) enables scrolling in the list.

• emde
    emde
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Clicking anywhere in the window will allow scrolling, very annoying though.

• Hey @sami145 / @emde:

Thanks for following up. We're actively investigating, so hopefully we can improve the state of play here soon.

Jack

• lucknortherly
    lucknortherly
    Community Member

Checking in, now that it's about 6 months later. Has a fix been found for this issue? I have the same Bluetooth mouse as the OP, and I have the same scrolling issue. I'm using an up-to-date version of 1Password and an up-to-date version of Logi Options+.

• @lucknortherly

This issue was fixed some time ago in 1Password 8.7.1 on June 1, 2022:

Secure Input in the app is now turned off by default for fields that are not concealed.

— from the release notes

This means that pointing devices that weren't able to scroll when Secure Input was turned on will now be able to. For example, I use a Logi MX Master 3 over Bluetooth with Logi Options+ and I can scroll whenever a concealed field is not in focus. If you're still having trouble with this, it might be best to email us so that we can look into this with you. Send us a message at support+forum@1password.com and you'll get a reply from BitBot with a conversation number. It'll look like [#ABC-12345-123] – post that here and I'll find your message to make sure it's in the right place. :)

— Grey

• lucknortherly
    lucknortherly
    Community Member

Thanks for jumping in to help! [#JVL-14122-231]

• @lucknortherly – We've got it! The team will get back to you by email as soon as they can.

• lucknortherly
    lucknortherly
    Community Member

The support team had me upgrade to 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009) and that fixed the issue 😀

• @lucknortherly

I'm happy to hear that updating to the latest version of 1Password for Mac resolved the issue for you. Thank you for reporting back with the solution. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.