Starting up 1password without authentication

Options
tortugonal
tortugonal
Community Member

I have 1Password security set to Unlock: touch ID yes, Apple Watch Yes, lock on sleep (etc.) Unchecked

Every time I open 1Password, I need to use my Apple Watch or Touch ID.

If I uncheck these, then I have to enter my password every time.

Is there a way to not have to enter my password or use authentication every time? I used to be able to do this with 1Password 7 on Mac.

I am the only user of my computer, have FileVault enabled, and always lock my computer when not immediately at it, so I don't feel I need the extra security every time I open 1Password.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @tortugonal:

To clarify, are you fully quitting 1Password or just closing the window (using ⌘+W or similar)? If you fully quit 1Password, you will have to unlock it again when you reopen it.

Jack

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member
    Options

Understood. My aesthetic is to hide my dock and not have 1password in the dock (even the hidden one when it pops up for interaction) unless it is running. My aesthetic is also to have only control center and the date in the menu bar. I used to be able to achieve this with 1password 7. After restarting my Mac, I would log into 1password once and it would generally never ask me again, and it wouldn't show itself. Wasn't there a setting in 7 that allowed 1password (mini?) to continue running in the background without exposing itself in the dock or menu bar? I believe this has changed?

It's not that I mind 1password running. I understand it has to be doing something in order to work. I just want it to hide itself.

I can achieve this now, but only by keeping 1password running in the menu bar and using Bartender to hide it. This is the only application that I currently need to use Bartender for, and I'd like not to have to run Bartender.

Any way I can fix this?

• Hey @tortugonal:

Thanks for confirming. As it currently stands, there isn't any way of keeping 1Password running without being visible in the menu bar. I can definitely understand why you'd like to see this though, so I'll share your feedback with the team. Without "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" enabled, closing and reopening 1Password would be a "fresh" start and you'll have to unlock 1Password again.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9557

This discussion has been closed.