Since upgrading to 1PW8, 1PW Safari extension no longer works... or even exists.

Until an hour ago I had a happy experience with integration between 1PW 7 and Safari. Since my unfortunate decision to upgrade, that is now gone. There is NO 1PW icon in my Safari toolbar, no Safari Extension, and worst of all, no functionality in the "1PW for Safari" that I assume is supposed to install a 1PW8 specific extension in Safari. Instead, it does NOTHING. Click the "Open Safari Preferences" button? Nothing. Doesn't even launch Safari. Go to Safari Preferences>Extensions manually? No 1PW extension there to turn on or off. I have quit and restarted 1PW8, Safari, and my M1 MacBook Pro. I'm out of ideas.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:1PW for Safari no longer working since 1PW 8

Comments

• Hi @Tresy:

I'm sorry to hear you're running into trouble here. Just to confirm, you've installed 1Password for Safari from the App Store, correct? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296?mt=12

If you have, let's try refreshing Safari's extension database:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/open-or-quit-terminal-apd5265185d-f365-44cb-8b09-71a064a42125/mac
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press Enter to run the command:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

1. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.

Let me know how you get on with that.

Jack

• willum11
    willum11
    Community Member

Hi, I had the exact same problems as Tresy, and the Terminal command worked. I can now use 1Password for Safari again. Thanks!

• Tresy
    Tresy
    Community Member

Yes, that worked, thanks, although to your first question, no, because the Canadian App Store currently does not offer 1PW8. I downloaded it from your site, and it seems happy. Still, the rest of your instructions worked. Thanks again.

• robfol
    robfol
    Community Member

Same problem, terminal fix worked for me too, but this a crazy bug that should not be there. Thanks for solution Jack

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P

Since so many people need the Terminal command, please pin the instructions to the top of this forum.
    Thanks.

• olliedog
    olliedog
    Community Member

I just updated from 7 to 8. I downloaded the extension from the MAS, and right off the bat it didn't work - clicking the button to open Safari Preferences did nothing. Going there on my own, I found no 1Password extension in the list of extensions, so I wasn't able to turn it on. Now I have no browser extension, which is a real pain.

Anyone know how to get it to install? I am on an M1 if that helps.

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

I have the EXACT same problem and came here hoping to find a solution...

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

@olliedog @ooga

Just to confirm you've installed 1Password for Safari and it's visible in your Applications folder, and you've launched it at least once, correct? If so, let's try refreshing Safari's extension registrations. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac:
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command: (command on one single line.) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app
    4. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.

• olliedog
    olliedog
    Community Member

That did it, thanks!

• fubarlost
    fubarlost
    Community Member

I'll pile on, the terminal command worked. Thanks!

• Sweet! You have our number so to speak. Let us know how it goes.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

Thanks for letting us know @fubarlost My apologies for the need to use it.

• I've merged a couple of threads. Things seem a little disjointed. My apologies.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Please PIN the instructions to the top of this forum. So many people are asking the same question.

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thank you, that worked for me as well!

• I am glad to hear it helped.

@lysander

Noted. I think the team is working on something regarding a pinned message. Thanks for the suggestion.

• kevan_Dalby
    kevan_Dalby
    Community Member

Jumping in, this solution seems to work for me as well but how can I tell that 1PW 8 for Mac is installed in Safari ? Also how do I create an auto login for a website as this new user interface is not at all intuitive as the previous?????

• Hi @kevan_Dalby,

I'm sorry about the confusion you have. Unlike 1Password 7, there is no built-in extension that works in Safari for 1Password 8. The 1Password for Safari is what we need in Safari. So, we need to make sure the 1Password for Safari extension is enabled in the Safari Extensions list.

Here's a detailed guide on how to Get started with 1Password in your browser.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• beverson
    beverson
    Community Member

Yep, that fixed my problem too. Thank you! Also, why is this necessary??

(I get why the 1P8 for Safari app is necessary. But this terminal thing seems really user-unfriendly, even if it's Apple's fault.)

• @beverson

You're not wrong, it's definitely not a frictionless experience. We're working with our development team to make this a quick troubleshooting step in the stable version of 1Password. If you're running the nightly version of 1Password 8 for Mac, it will already be available for you in the Help menu under Troubleshooting. It will look something like this:

This discussion has been closed.