If I try 1P 8, can I roll back to 1P 7 if there are issues?

rob_gendreau
rob_gendreau
Community Member

As the title says. Is upgrading to 8 a one-way trip?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member

I don't believe so because my PC was on 1P 8 and my mac was on 1P7 and both work fine in sync but you can always back up the CSV file or the 1PUX file. Rollback and import if you lose anything.

• Hello @rob_gendreau! 👋

You can absolutely try 1Password 8 for Mac and still revert back to 1Password 7 if you wish to do so in the future, it's not a one-way door. I've been switching between the two versions on my Mac for the past year (since I help support both versions) and there haven't been any issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 😊

• jdonels
    jdonels
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

@Dave_1P can I run 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 on the same Mac? I am not 100% comfortable moving from my iCloud Drive vault yet.
    If so will the Safari extension work ok?

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

A related question. Can I upgrade one of our Macs to 1Password 8, but leave 1Password 7 on our other Macs? We have a 1Password family plan with a custom shared vault, the default shared vault, and, for each family member, a number of private vaults. Judging from the response by @Dave_1P , it appears that Mac 7 and 8 use the same database, and that Mac 8 does not make changes that can’t be read by Mac 7. But it would be good to know the official answer.

In response to @jdonels , my guess is that 1Password 8 cannot use an iCloud Drive vault; a 1Password.com subscription is necessary. Once you migrate your iCloud data to a subscription, you can switch between 7 and 8. But let’s see what the support team says. By the way, be sure to look up the instructions for deleting the 1Password data in iCloud.

For what it’s worth, I used to use an iCloud vault, but migrated to a subscription. The speed and reliability of interacting with 1Password.com is much better than what I experienced with iCloud.

• rob_gendreau
    rob_gendreau
    Community Member

Thanks for the info; it's reassuring that I can try the new one and still be able to go back.

• Hi @jdonels:

Great question. We'd generally not recommend running both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 at the same time, as it can cause a bit of confusion with the extensions. As mentioned, 1Password 8 only supports 1Password accounts, and doesn't support standalone vaults stored in iCloud. Switching back and forth would likely require keeping two separate copies of your data, one in your standalone vault, and one in your 1Password account, and keeping them up to date if you make any changes in either.

@billj:

Since you're using a 1Password account, yes, you can definitely upgrade one of your devices to 1Password 8 for the time being. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying using your 1Password account so much.

@rob_gendreau:

On behalf of Dave, you're very welcome!

Jack

• Lew
    Lew
    Community Member

If it's possible to revert to v7 on a Mac, I would appreciate it if the process could be posted here. Currently 1PW entires in my Applications folder are as follows...

1Password.app
     1Password 7.app.zip
     1Password for Safari.app

• @Lew

The better experience would likely be using 1Password 8. That said, yes, it can certainly be done if you encounter something that is a show stopper in your opinion.

1. Quit 1Password 8 and drag it to the trash. Do not use an app cleaner for this. Manually completing this step will keep your data safe. * Optional leave it here if you intend on trying 1Password 8 again. It can also be re downloaded.
    2. Double click the 1Password 7.app.zip to expand it. You can then remove the zip file from the Applications folder.
    3. Open Safari and disable 1Password for Safari and enable the 1Password extension (likely version 7.9.4)
    4. Drag 1Password for Safari to the trash. * Optional leave it here if you intend on trying 1Password 8 again. It can also be re downloaded.
  • Lew
    Lew
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Thank you for your assistance.

The reason for my wanting to temporarily revert to 1PW 7 is that when I upgraded to 1PW 8 the process combined two vaults. As I saw no method to restore vaults created prior to the upgrade I thought reverting to 1PW 7 would allow me to restore since a support page states the following:

1Password 7 and earlier automatically create backups of the standalone vaults on your Mac or Windows PC every day if there have been any changes made since the last backup. This includes vaults you’re syncing with Dropbox or iCloud.

I successfully reverted following your instruction; however, I see no recent backup. I do have frequent Backblaze, Time Machine, and Carbon Copy Cloner backups available. If you can tell me where I might locate a recent vault file to restore I would appreciate it.

By the way, I have already contacted email support without much success.

• @Lew

We're working to answer everyone as soon as possible. We have had quite the influx of support emails. Hang in there. One of my colleagues will be with you as soon as possible.

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member

I've rolled back to 1P7, but am having trouble getting the safari extension to work. Not the "in your browser" extension, but the one that comes with 1P7.

I enable it in Safari's extensions preferences, but the toolbar icon only appears for a fraction of a second. It also takes forever to open 1Password Mini up in the taskbar... if I disable the Safari extension, 1Password Mini opens right away, but says I need to install the Safari extension.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling 1P7, rebooting, etc., but haven't found a way around the problem.

• @Samplex

Best Password Manager Look near the bottom on the right-hand side.

• @fishbert

If you continue to have trouble please email us using support@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. One of my colleagues will be happy to help.

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member

I was able to get it working again after nuking any/all mentions of 1Password from the ~\Library directories and re-installing.

• @fishbert

Strange that should not have been needed. 1Password 8 uses a new location and all that would have been need would be to download 1Password 7 and unlock. It should have picked up the previous data location. I can't say how many times I have taken the step the last few months. Strange for sure. I am happy to hear things are working better for you.

All the best,

This discussion has been closed.