Printing in 1Password 8 for Mac

billj
billj
Community Member

Is printing supported in 1Password 8 for Mac?

The 1Password keyboard shortcuts does not include Command-P.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15 and later

Comments

• Hello @billj! 👋

1Password 8 doesn't currently support printing items. Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you're printing your items? Are you trying to backup your items? Or share them with someone else?

That being said, I've forwarded your request for printing in 1Password 8 to our developers so that they can consider it for a future version.

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

ref: dev/core/core#9570

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks for your reply. Why do I want printing? As a worst-case fallback. I have so much information in 1Password that if the worst happened and it was gone, I would be in a world of hurt. I know data loss in the 1Password,com system is unlikely, but, in the spirit of "trust but verify," I firmly believe it is prudent to have fallbacks. Such as a PDF of each 1Password vault, stored on multiple encrypted drives, which, in turn, are stored in a safe deposit box. And, perhaps, a hard copy stored in a safe deposit box.

I recall there was at least one previous version of 1Password that, out of the gate, did not support printing, but after a few iterations, it was added. (I looked at my old forum posts, and found a remark about printing having been added to 1Password 4.)

One more thing regarding printing. According to what I read on 1Password.com, 1Password 8 can output a .1pux JSON file. I looked at the sample .1pux data, and thought, "Hey, this looks structured. I wonder if a small utility could be written that parses the JSON data and outputs it in 'human readable' form? And saves that as a PDF?" I would pay for such a utility. If this were a real thing, printing, per se, might not be necessary,

If there are no other options, it appears that I could retrieve information from the .1pux data, but gathering it looks like it would be tedious.

I look forward to your response.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2022

@billj

Just save the 1PUX, if your goal is to have a worst-case fallback.

Reading the 1PUX is not difficult, and it can be easily machine-parsed to reformat as needed.

Having the raw data is better than PDF, as any conversion to PDF is going to be lossy (you lose metadata, various hidden-by-default fields, attachments, etc).

The onepif converter in the converter suite is a proof-of-concept converter whose goal is to convert a 1PIF into alternate formats (such as HTML for printing, or CSV for quick tabular viewing). It was written using a transformation language so that the output could be customized as needed.

I have not created a onepux converter, but have offered to do so if there is no objection by the 1Password folks.

So, I wouldn't invest much time worrying about a doomsday scenario which requires a "trust but verify" stance. Your 1PUX is sufficient insurance.

• Hi @Billj, I'd echo what MrC mentioned here - and just want to let you know that we're looking at expanding the ways we can support your "trust but verify" scenarios, including encrypted export. Thanks for letting us know about your priorities and concerns here.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

@MrC wrote:

“Reading the 1PUX is not difficult…”

For you. ;-)

Seriously, thank you for your very helpful response. Thanks for confirming that all the data is present and accessible in the .1pux file. Personally, I would welcome a onepux converter, because having at least all my “visible” data in an easier-to-read format would be very helpful. If you decide to write one, would you please let me know?

@PeterG_1P , thank you, also, for your reply. Happy to know the team is thinking about these things. An encrypted export would be cool. One less thing to deal with when storing sensitive data.

One question for either of you about .1pux files: can they be imported into 1Password 8 or 1Password.com? Just curious.

• @billj

Thank you for the reply. The ability to import 1PUX files hasn't been implemented yet in either 1Password 8 or 1Password.com and I'll let our developers know that this is a feature that you'd like to see. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-190

ref: dev/core/core#8586

• rkrausch
    rkrausch
    Community Member

I agree with the need to be able to create a password-protected PDF file for each vault separately at the user's discretion. In my particular use case, I had previously saved PDFs of specific vaults that are were kept with other estate documentation in a secure location. I could "make do" with the CSV file export if the Vault was included as an attribute for each entry, at which point I could simple filter / reformat the file until acceptable for my purpose.

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022

@rkrausch

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to our developers! As Peter mentioned, we're looking into introducing encrypted export to 1Password in the future. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-873

• mtryJT
    mtryJT
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I'd also very much like to be able to print a hard copy of all my passwords so I can keep a hard copy in my bank safe deposit box -- partially as a fail-safe, but mainly for my wife (who has very limited tech skills and doesn't know how to use 1Password) in case I become incapacitated or die. My previous version of 1Password for Mac allowed me to print a copy in 2020 and beforehand, but 1Password for Mac 8.9.4 doesn't seem to have that capability and I would really like to have that print capability back soon.

If that's not imminent, is there a way I can downgrade to an earlier version of 1Password for Mac that does still allow printing all the passwords?

• cjc182
    cjc182
    Community Member

I'd like to second a request to add the ability to print to 1Password 8. PLEASE!

• @mtryJT,

Apologies for the delay and thank you for sharing your use case. For the purpose you describe, we recommend printing and storing a copy of your Emergency Kit instead. Since it contains all the necessary credentials to access your account, you can ensure the data accessed by whomever uses it will be the most up to date.

That said, I've added you to our tracker on the topic of bringing printing to 1Password 8 and can appreciate that some folks may still prefer it.

@cjc182,

Thanks for letting us know this is important to you. I've added your voice to our tracker as well. 🙂

If either of you have any questions, let me know!

ref: IDEA-I-873

• GET2wORk4me
    GET2wORk4me
    Community Member

I also would like to have the capability to have a hard copy of my usernames and passwords.
    Thanks for monitoring the customer requests.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2022

@GET2wORk4me

To get usernames and passwords, you can export to CSV, and print the CSV file.

If you need more than that, you can use the onpux converter in the converter suite to export everything to one or more CSV files, and print those.

• GET2wORk4me
    GET2wORk4me
    Community Member

Thanks for your help.....

• On behalf of MrC, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.