1Password 8: Tools in help menu missing

Options
norysang
norysang
Community Member

I just upgraded to 1Password 8 and am missing a feature that's rather important to me: removing duplicates and cleaning generated passwords that have later been incorporated into another item. In 1Password 7 these option where hidden behind the menu Help > Tools > Clean up duplicate items (see attached screenshot, unfortunately it's in German but I hope you get the sense) while in 1Password 8 it seems like the whole Tools menu section is gone.

Am I missing something or is it really gone? If so, what are your plans on adding this functionality again? It's crucial for my day to day workflow and without these two features I'd need to downgrade to 1Password 7 again.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @norysang! 👋

I agree that the "Clean up Duplicate Items" tool could be very useful and I've forwarded your request to see it added to 1Password 8 to our developers. Out of curiosity, what are some scenarios where you've needed the tool since moving to 1Password 8? The duplicates tool in 1Password 7 was very conservative, if two items were even a tiny bit different (modified date, etc), 1Password 7 would not remove them.

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-615

• jcaldwell
    jcaldwell
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that a "Clean up Duplicate Items" tool is desperately need in 1Password 8. I used the tool in 1Password 7 before I ungraded and it did remove some duplicates. But when I upgraded to 1Password 8, I have in many instances three and up to four duplicates for certain entries. I suspect it may have been a result of consolidating vaults which I had in both Dropbox and iCloud. It would be very time consuming to have to go through my 1345 entries to remove duplicates.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thanks for the feedback jcaldwell I have added you voice to the others. I apologize for any trouble you've encountered.

ref: IDEA-I-615

• mlondon
    mlondon
    Community Member
    Options

One more vote for returning "Clean up Duplicate Items" tool.
    I thought v8 would be an upgrade, but my impression so far is that it is a major DOWN grade.

• Hi @mlondon, I'm happy to add a vote on your behalf for that duplicate-handling feature. Thanks for letting us know that this is a priority for you. 👍

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hey @Dave_1P 👋🏻 thanks for your response.

There are two scenarios where I used the two tools:

• removing generated passwords that where not automatically replaced when creating the login
    • importing large amounts of logins from multiple sources

Let me elaborate a bit more....

Regarding "remove duplicate passwords": sometimes it happens that a password generated while registering for a web service gets saved as a password item on top of the login item. From time to time I used to go into "tools" and delete these passwords.

Regarding "duplicate items": I am in the process of migrating lots of people to 1Password, a process that can take weeks because some of them did store their passwords in multiple locations with some of them being duplicates. For example, some did use spreadsheets and would occasionally copy and paste them to usb-drives or other devices and then continue to add new logins there, resulting in multiple versions of the same spreadsheet with only minor changes. The easiest way in the past was to dump every version I could find into 1Password and let the "remove duplicates" tool clean up at least a bit before the tedious task of manually checking all the items that are (ever so slightly) different. That way I did not risk missing passwords because I only imported one file but not the other.

I hope my explanation helps to understand a bit more about why the feature was and is helpful to me. If anything is unclear feel free to ask and I will try my best to explain a bit more.

Thanks and all the best!

• @norysang

Thank you for the detailed description of your use case for a duplicate cleaner tool. I've forwarded your comments to our product team so that they're aware of how you find such a tool useful.

I did want to comment on the following:

Regarding "remove duplicate passwords": sometimes it happens that a password generated while registering for a web service gets saved as a password item on top of the login item. From time to time I used to go into "tools" and delete these passwords.

I know that, in the past, this sometimes could occur with the older extension for Safari that came built-in with 1Password 7 for Mac. Have you experienced this issue when using the new 1Password in the browser with Safari and other browsers? Here are a few links:

-Dave

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I’m happy to have seen this post. I had not used this feature. How are duplicates removed? The software does it on its own after running or it would look for duplicates and then we remove them manually? Also the duplicates are compared on exact basis or with some difference it would not detect as duplicates?

I just checked this and I realise it's only for password generated only. But it directly moves those items. It should actually show me the items that are being removed or acted upon.

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,
    thanks again for your reply and the attached links. I still experience this behaviour in the following circumstances:

• login is created through the browser extension
    • a new password is generated and therefore saved as a "password"-item to my default vault
    • the login-item is saved to a different vault than the default vault

If of these three prerequisites are true it results in a password-item and a login-item in two different vaults. I suspect it has to do with me saving the login to a different vault than the default vault and 1Password not being able to properly clean up afterwards?

@vishalsheth
    For the "remove duplicates" functionality, 1Password looks for items that are 100% similar and removes one of them. So this is only useful if you have a lot of items imported from the same source. The "remove unneeded passwords" compares password-items with all login-items and if a login-item contains the password, the password-item is removed.

This discussion has been closed.